Magnalite question

Bonnie Scott

I just found a Wagner Ware Magnalite 1 1/2 quart saucepan number 4681 with the lid and I want to clean it. I am trying to remove the handle. I got the screw out of the bottom but the one on the top doesn't want to budge and I don't want to tear it up. Do you have a picture or a patent drawing of how it is attached?

Bonnie, can you post a pic of the pan? Show it with all connectors: screw on top, screw on bottom, etc.

Is there an inside screw? (doubtful, but thought I'd ask to cover the bases)

If they look like this, the screws should come out.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 26
That is my pan. The bottom screw broke free easily but the top one won't budge and it started to tear up the slot for the screwdriver. Maybe I will just clean it as is instead of opening up a can of worms. I assumed it was made for the handle to come off easily so you could use it in the oven.

That is my pan. The bottom screw broke free easily but the top one won't budge and it started to tear up the slot for the screwdriver. Maybe I will just clean it as is instead of opening up a can of worms. I assumed it was made for the handle to come off easily so you could use it in the oven.

I can't really see people taking the handle on/off every time they want to use it in the oven.

That being said, it's not actually two screws, it's a screw and a binder post that the screw screws into. (See Photo) You might actually need two screwdrivers to get them apart. As one might just spin the other. Make sure you find screwdrivers that fit nice and tight into the screw slots. Maybe have someone help holding the other screwdriver.

Still no go? I would try soaking in hot water to maybe loosen up some of the crud that will invariably be in/around the screws.

Attachments

• Magnalite_Binder.jpg
    Magnalite_Binder.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 23
I can't really see people taking the handle on/off every time they want to use it in the oven.

That being said, it's not actually two screws, it's a screw and a binder post that the screw screws into. (See Photo) You might actually need two screwdrivers to get them apart. As one might just spin the other. Make sure you find screwdrivers that fit nice and tight into the screw slots. Maybe have someone help holding the other screwdriver.

Still no go? I would try soaking in hot water to maybe loosen up some of the crud that will invariably be in/around the screws.

+1 :icon_thumbsup:

Thank you RickC, that picture is very helpful. I watched your youtube video and the music made me believe the video would end with a picture of your feet sticking out from under a pile of cast iron. LOL. Your collection is wonderful.
Thanks also to T Winchester. I think I was confusing this pan with another Wagner Aluminum that had a removable handle.

I watched your youtube video and the music made me believe the video would end with a picture of your feet sticking out from under a pile of cast iron. LOL. Your collection is wonderful.

Thank you, thank you!!! I used one of the free songs that YouTube allows, license free.. You're not the first to tell me it was a little creepy. My website will always have the most current photos of what I have, and even at that I'm about 15 pieces behind.

Speaking of cleaning. Finally set up a lye tank a few weeks ago, and have put through a few pieces. Wow... It works great. I'll be slowly but surely going through the entire lot and getting them all shiny and clean so I can use ALL of them. Most pieces I get, crud, only a few pieces with rust so the lye works great for me.

Back