What Not to Cook in CI?

Tommy C

I have heard that tomato products and that olive oil are bad for cast iron. What else should I refrain from using?:?::?::?:

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 PM ----------

I googled the question "what not to cook in cast iron" and found all kinds of info but I figure you guys and gals would know, and share the truth. Thanks.

Admittedly this was not my brightest moment - I made blueberry pancakes on a newly seasoned griddle. Blueberries are acidic and spotted the griddle. It took 6 months of constant use to cover the marks.

I often bake with my CI, I steer clear of items like blueberry crumble cake for this reason.

Cast iron is reactive to acidic foods. Once the pan is well-seasoned, however, it does not seem to be a problem. Sidewalls may not build seasoning as heavily as the cooking surface, so there is still a possibility of reactivity there. Acidic food may degloss the surface sheen of the seasoning, but otherwise shouldn't impact it significantly.

I don't know from where the olive oil caveat originates, and have never heard it before. I think that one can be safely ignored.

I don't think any cooking oil can remove other cooking oil. I cook whatever I want in mine. I make chilli, pasta sauce, boil rice (hot salty water oh no!), boil beans (more hot salty water oh my!) pizza, etc. in my pieces with no problem. I've yet to find anything that harms my seasoning other than uncontrolled heat [edit: and a lye tank].

I don't cook rice or cheese dishes in my cast iron. (Grilled cheese sandwiches don't count as a cheese dishes!)

I don't cook rice or cheese dishes in my cast iron. (Grilled cheese sandwiches don't count as a cheese dishes!)
I cook rice in mine all the time. It is my rice cooker, 2 qt and 3 qt pots. I have not had any problems with them. Rice tastes great with no change in the color.

I cook rice in mine all the time. It is my rice cooker, 2 qt and 3 qt pots. I have not had any problems with them. Rice tastes great with no change in the color.

Seconded. I use my chicken fryer for rice and pasta all the time. It's big enough that I don't feel an urge to snap spaghetti in half when I put it in the boiling water.

When I cook meats down for a broth, (ox tails for example) I simply use what remains to cook my rice in. All that seasoning in the rice......mmmmm!

Back