Big Eared #3

JMoss

I bought this little guy as part of an estate sale. I'm a sucker for the big ears, hand cast pieces. I should probably be able to figure out who made this but I haven't. The casting has several "sags" where the mold may have shifted but with the exception of one small flaw, the cooking surface is perfect.

Does anyone recognize it?

http://imgur.com/a/qdZmb

Jack

I've looked at your pics a couple of different times (thinking if I came at it fresh something would hit me)... I got nothing. the style of the 3 on the handle reminds me of the 3 on the back of a little lodge... but the little 3 on the back throws me... the scoop in the handle looks like BSR... but the rest of the handle doesn't. the smooth bottom reminds me of many unmarked wagners... but none of the other parts match up.

Thank you D Madden. At least I'm not the only one who can't figure this one out.

Where are Doug D and Steve Stephens when you really need them?

Jack

I've looked at every #3 that I have (which is a lot) and don't see an exact match to mine. If we're playing a guessing game I would guess it's an unmarked Martin (smooth bottom) that was somehow marked on the bottom and top handle with a #3.
I love a mystery piece of CI and this one isn't giving any clues as to it's maker.
Maybe a re-cast or Korean made for an American vendor...Who knows???
Have you done any dimensional checks or weight? Whatever it is you may have the only one of it's kind.
Good luck with your detective work.

Thank you D Madden. At least I'm not the only one who can't figure this one out.

Where are Doug D and Steve Stephens when you really need them?

Jack

yeah, I'd like to hear from an actual expert on this one. My first thought when I see the first pic with the big spouts is early lodge... but the size on the handle wouldn't be right for that... and the smooth bottom?

There are really no experts. Just people who have seen more pans than other people, and are in a position to draw comparisons (or the lack thereof) and make some educated guesses. So, let's look at the characteristics.

The shape of the underside of the handle hole may look to some like BSR. To me, not so much, plus no ridge all the way to the sidewall. Also, there is some question as to whether or not the smooth bottom skillets we think look like BSR are in fact BSR.

OK, then, maybe the handle looks a little bit Lodge. Maybe the 3 on top of the handle looks a little like the 3 on some Lodges. But there are no confirmed Lodge smooth bottoms.

Nor did Lodge or BSR put incised size numbers on handle tops.

The three on the top looks a little like some Martins. Yes, I agree with that. But Martin #3s have spouts nowhere near this big. These spouts are Griswold big, but this ain't a Griswold, either.

What I would call this is just some small unknown foundry using a pretty nice skillet as the basis for its own pattern, but in the process taking a few measures to try to hide that fact.

Thanks all for your thoughts. I guess it will remain a mystery and it will also stay in my collection.

Jack

There are really no experts. Just people who have seen more pans than other people, and are in a position to draw comparisons (or the lack thereof) and make some educated guesses.

Doug speaks the truth.. Any time I think I know it all, I'm quickly humbled by an unmarked piece with characteristics I've never seen before. Might be the font on the size number, the handle, or something else. I'm quickly stumped, and realize, I like many others, don't know everything. :redface:

Back