Griswold (Wagner Era), SBL, 11 1/4", #9.....

CDLaine

Just thought I'd share.... please correct any incorrect information.

Yesterday, located (at a local Thrift store) this skillet that appears to be a Wagner era Griswold small badge logo 11 1/4" skillet, (no.9). I assume poured sometime after Dec. 1957 ... and, before the requirement of "Made in the U.S.A." (early 60's). From what I have read here.... not highly regarded as "collectible" due to lack of Erie, P.A. imprint. Most here would probably have passed on this one as it has a slight wobble, and, can be spun. But, the cooking surface is close to immaculate, it cleaned up nicely, and, I lack the culinary skill to make wobbling and spinning an issue. It will serve as a "user" for my purposes. (I did not have a skillet this size).

I gave $25.00...seemed about a fair deal as most on Ebay completed listings go for more... and then there is shipping. One thing I have noticed...based on the large retiree population (plenty of CI hunters) in the greater Phoenix metroplex anything with Griswold/Wagner logo seems almost non-existent. So, got to pick them when you find them.

As it is 120 degrees here today I think I will defer on the oven seasoning and just season thru useage. I like this skillet. :icon_thumbsup:

Charles
http://imgur.com/a/How9y

Just thought I'd share.... please correct any incorrect information.

...before the requirement of "Made in the U.S.A." (early 60's).

"Made in USA" was not a requirement but a marketing effort to differentiate from the flood of Asian iron hitting the states around then.

Hope you enjoy your new skillet.

Eric....

Thank you for the clarification... an important distiction. On the net many seem to imply that it was "required", and, the born on dating should reflect same. ... I should have done more research. Your point widens "my" date range for this skillet .

Thanks again.

Charles

Yeah it's a common misconception but no legislation has ever been discovered requiring this. There's also examples of later pieces without the Made in USA markings (I have a couple BSR like that), which would be a problem if it was actually a requirement.

Different manufacturers implemented it at different times but AFAIK they all did it within a small range of years. IDK about Wagner era Griswolds; your original date range may be accurate.

Thanks again Eric.... I'll try to improve posting accuracy in the future. :icon_thumbsup: 1st use of skillet in progress now.... bacon ! (as it should be).

Thanks

Charles

I think someone on here referred to these as 'Griswags'... I like the sound of it. It cleaned up nicely. If it gets just a little warmer you can just season your pans outside on the blacktop (or inside your car).

D. Madden.....

GrisWags.... how the mighty have fallen. :cool:

The only problem with your environmental seasoning plan is the part where I have to go outside ! :roll::-D

Charles

p.s. the bacon was perfect !

I had one just like it, spinner and all, except mine had made in USA on it. I sold it for $40 and I've seen them go for more than that around here. They make good users.

Good stuff Mike.... I think your price more accurately reflects current market valuations. They do not seem plentiful around here, but, I've limited my search range by not attending estate sales. Wobbly-spinner worts and all, I can already tell this will make a great daily user.... no closet queen here ! :chuckle:

I tried to talk the bride into letting me make skillet fried spagetti tonight.... no sell. :grin:

Charles

My first cast iron pan was the very same one . A late 50's with the Griswold mark , but no Erie PA or Made in the U.S.A. . That pan served me well for many years .

Good to hear Mr. Trainor.... I'm guessing this 50-60 year old skillet has a lot more years in it. ...if only I was so lucky. :icon_rofl:

Charles

I am currently cleaning up that very same pan. It says griswold, no Erie PA, no made in USA, and the Wagner style size sentence written along bottom. I find it confusing.

Those skillets were made in the Wagner Ware foundry after Griswold was bought by the same company who bought out Wagner Ware . Mine was the same . The Griswold logo , no ERIE PA , no "made in U.S.A." but the pan size written like on a Wagner Ware pan .

Back