Lodge with upside-down size#?

John E

I had a bust of a day hunting today, but did run across one piece I was curious about. I should have taken a picture, so words will need to suffice...

#3 skillet, very nice casting. Single break in the heat ring at 12 o'clock. Raised 'Y' molder's mark at 5 o'clock. "11" or 'll", small, at 6 o'clock next to the 'Y'. Just two parallel lines really. Pour spouts were sized appropriately for the single-notch era.

Everything said Lodge to me but the "3" at 12 o'clock was upside down. So to read it, I'd turn it so the handle was at 12 o'clock and the "3" was at 6 o'clock. The font was right for Lodge as well.

Just an oddball variation?

Just an oddball, like the one Griswold Victor pattern with the upside down 7.

Not really special enough, unless in good condition and a super bargain. Save the $ for a Martin Monday Morning.

I have that exact pan (without the chip). I had always referred to it as having the 3 backward as opposed to upside down. Guess it is all the same.

Jack

I have the exact same pan also. Same markings with a upside down 3. Got it a few days ago for $4. In excellent condition just dirty

Me too! Me too!

I picked up the same skillet this weekend at an antique/junk shop. I paid $5 for it. It's got a very nice cooking surface and should be a great user. I've attached a photo of it after a few hours in a bag of oven cleaner... still some work to do. The most interesting part about this skillet, that I didn't really notice until I got it home, is that the "Y" molder's mark is very prominent... more so than the heat ring, which is somewhat reduced compared to my other #3 Lodge from the same area. The raised molder's mark actually gives it a very slight wobble on our glass cooktop... even though the skillet is not warped at all. I was curious to know if anyone else had experienced this, and I actually found my way to this post by searching the discussion forum for "molder's mark."
Has anyone else noticed the "Y" on theirs being so pronounced?

Attachments

• IMG_0287.jpg
    IMG_0287.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 36
Back