Spider Griddle?

JeffreyL

thinking of going to an auction coming up, and seen these pieces in the pictures. The handle is pretty unique on the spider griddle, Only pictures I have are these two, and the second one is to confirm its a spider, you can see it in the background above the white pig. I've never seen a handle like this, and obviously i dont know yet if it's gated but does it look to be a true old spider or does it appear asian??
https://imgur.com/a/Lf7Fq

Good morning, Jeffrey!:D It appears asian to me, and a nice one at that - never seen one with any kind of ornamentation. If you decide to get it, I hope it goes cheap!:icon_thumbsup:

I'm trying to decide whether to make the trip, not sure I want to make it for an asian piece, but it is very interesting

Looks like is on a trivet,I would get it just for the handle,also there is a hammered skillet,with mismatched lid,good luck at the auction.

I think there are similar ones in the 'grey' book (which is mainly stuff from 1600 to about 1900.)

pages 140 - 141

their examples are dated from late 1700's to about mid-1800's... this one with some decoration on the handle probably place it later in that time frame rather than earlier. mentions that 'griddles' like these were made up until the mid 1800's, when they changed to making them flat with no legs for stove top use.

Back