Thanks to My Son-in-law - Part 1

WallyF

So out of the blue, I get a text message from my son-in-law (SIL). His boss is cleaning out the boss' parent's house. Somehow the topic of CI comes up. Boss found a few pieces and asks SIL whether I would be interested. SIL texts picture and asks the question. Since we are 2 or so hours away, here is what I had to base my decision.

https://imgur.com/a/ulJeyBX

You can figure out my decision from this.

https://imgur.com/a/bNpuw3h

SIL is a keeper and will probably get 2 more pieces for Christmas this year. Last year year he got my first Favorite and a #6 3-notch.

More to come.

is that a normal depth slant/erie skillet? something about the pic makes it look like chicken fryer depth. if so... I'm not sure I've ever seen a 'deep' slant erie skillet like that.

Note titles on photo albums: "Griswold #8 Deep Skillet"

yeah and just noticed (and looked up) that pattern number... duh... I didn't actually click through to the album, so I didn't see the title... I have a chrome extension for browsing images inline... so I can just hover on the link and scroll through the images... without actually going to the source.

Griswold very early made what they referred to as “Extra Deep Skillets”. These were similar to
the regular Third Series “ERIEs” and appeared in the 1890 Griswold Catalog in three sizes,
Nos. 8, 9, and 10. These “Extra Deep Skillets” have been referred to as Doughnut Fryers or
Chicken Fryers and were specifically adapted for frying foods requiring a considerable amount
of grease. When the “ERIE Extra Deep Skillets” were produced, the sides had a pleasing slope
similar to the regular skillet; later, in the 1920’s when lids were introduced, the sides were
made steeper so a specific size lid would fit both a regular and an “Extra Deep” skillet. The
pattern numbers used for the Third Series “Extra Deep ERIEs” were p/n 732 for No. 8, p/n 733
for No. 9, and p/n 734 for No. 10.

Are we saying this pattern, 732, dates to the 1890's? The picture on page 34 in the BB says 1900 - 1909. Although it is difficult to tell whether they are the same.

So is this skillet uncommon or rare?

Nothing like having great son-in -law looking for Iron for you and score the Griswold slant! Very nice pan. :)

Are we saying this pattern, 732, dates to the 1890's? The picture on page 34 in the BB says 1900 - 1909. Although it is difficult to tell whether they are the same.

So is this skillet uncommon or rare?

no. this pan isn't from the 1890's...
just that the 'extra deep' skillets started with the 3rd series erie marked pans... and continued into the slant/erie with the same pattern numbers. but yes, these are kind of rare.

Thanks for the info D.

I am very pleased with the way it cleaned up. Looking forward to using it. Think I got a good bargain at $25, although, in retrospect probably could have gotten it for less.

Back