CI & Possible Paint

Well had a good day found a mixture of Griswolds and Wagners totaling 8pans total. My question is I was soaking one of them in a lye bath and lots of the seasoning came off the bottom but there is some black on the handle and around the top rim of the pan that is very slick and don't come off. Is it paint? If so how does one remove this without hurting the pan?

Mike

Thanks Scott I just checked the pans again little bit ago and most of the black is gone. I think I just was impatient and didn't want to wait lol. Will check them tomorrow and should be able to move forward.

Speaking of the electrolysis method what are the pro's and cons vs Lye?

Does it do a more thorough job all in all?

Just looking to learn from everyone else experience....

Mike

It will clean better it just needs line of site to the donor metal. It is more costly if you don't have the items already.

Other than that, I can't think of any major cons.

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

Allot of people use both, lye first then electrolysis to thoroughly clean and remove rust from the piece.

Thank you I believe I think I have most if not all of the items will have to think about tank design :D

Another thing would be nice if there was a section on the forum that was devoted for system pictures. Probably would only be handy for new comers like myself. I will be reading that section on this web site today. Thanks again.

Mike

Look on You Tube they will have many different setups.
A 5 gallon bucket will work on all most all of the pans up to a #8 or #9.

lye and electrolysis work well in combination... also electrolysis works on rust... lye doesn't... so you often need one or the other... or both. The section on electrolysis on this site covers all the basics as well as some other good wisdom gleaned from experience.

Thanks again for everyone's help, this week I'm gonna work on building an E Setup and did some reading last night on using it in a lye tank as well. :)

Back