Guess I'm a Collector Now

Chuck D

Hi,
Relatively new to the forum. I came here looking for advice on rehabbing a large booyah kettle and the Cast Iron Bug bit me good. I have always had a few pieces in use that my dad gave me years ago but I was at his house a few days ago and he was asking how the kettle cleaning went and I told him about how great the electrolysis worked. One thing led to another and by the time I left my truck was loaded down with these pieces he had accumulated but not yet cleaned. Looks like I need to set up an e-tank:D

Chuck

Attachments

• cast iron2.jpg
    cast iron2.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 155
That’s a great looking spider skillet with the lid. What is the name of the foundry on the lid. I can make out Hollow Ware but can’t read the first word.

Nice haul. Who made the long griddle? Also, who made the skillet with the heat ring in the far left rear?

Nice Wagner waffle iron.

With that much cast iron, would your dad like to adopt me, lol.

OK. First let me say how great this site is. I have learned a lot in the last few weeks as I explored the site and many of the posts.

I made some notes so hopefully I can answer your questions.

The spider skillet (new term to me) has no markings on it except a 10 at the 12:00 position along with a large gate mark and a pretty unique design on the handle where it joins the skillet. The handle looks like its applied (but its not) and has a raised rib and diamond design on the underside. The upper part of the handle is flat and not finished very well. I don't think they are a pair. The skillet is in much better condition than the lid.

The large griddle has no identifying marks. Just two gate marks perpendicular to the griddle.

The pan in the corner is a #9 "Favorite Piqua Ware" "The Best to Cook In"

There is a heavy fry pan with no heat ring that's marked "10" "SK" "Made in USA". I'm guessing its not that old with the USA mark. Can anyone tell me what that is?

In all there are 3 Griswolds, 1 Piqua, 2 unnamed, and the SK. The dutch ovens have no manuracturer marks but the lid is a Wagner "drip drop roaster" and the frying pan lid is a Griswold "self basting skillet cover"

Gotta say I'm having a good time with this. I'm already looking for a hanging pots & pan rack for above the breakfast bar.

Chuck

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

Can anyone tell me about the bean pot, or whatever its called? It has no marks at all on it as far as I can tell... but is is pretty cruddy yet.

Also, my dad probably still has 20 pieces in his kitchen and he has given at least that many restored pieces to kids and grandkids. I got the fixer uppers because he knows I can and will put in the work to restore them.

Thanks again

That’s a great looking spider skillet with the lid. What is the name of the foundry on the lid. I can make out Hollow Ware but can’t read the first word.

Forgot about the lid... it has "NO 10" I think under the handle, although its nowhere near as big as a #10 frying pan. "Favorite Hollow Ware" is printed around the perimeter. There is a large gate mark and casting imperfection on the underside. As I mentioned, it does not seem to belong to the skillet because of wildly different condition.

There is a heavy fry pan with no heat ring that's marked "10" "SK" "Made in USA". I'm guessing its not that old with the USA mark. Can anyone tell me what that is?

It is a Lodge. The SK means skillet. It was made after mid 60's until the mid/late 80's, if memory serves me right. Does it have any other markings/notches?

Forgot about the lid... it has "NO 10" I think under the handle, although its nowhere near as big as a #10 frying pan. "Favorite Hollow Ware" is printed around the perimeter. There is a large gate mark and casting imperfection on the underside. As I mentioned, it does not seem to belong to the skillet because of wildly different condition.

I would like to see more pics of that lid... a gate marked lid from Favorite (or even those odd 'the favorite' items) would be a pretty unique lid... I'm pretty sure I've never seen a favorite lid marked with raised letters on top...

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

Can anyone tell me about the bean pot, or whatever its called? It has no marks at all on it as far as I can tell... but is is pretty cruddy yet.

Thanks again

the proper name for your pot/kettle might differ depending on some of the other characteristics (that aren't visible in your one pic)... specifically the bottom and the general shape of the sides and inside bottom... there are eccentric kettles and bulge pots and other names depending on the specific characteristics.

I would like to see more pics of that lid... a gate marked lid from Favorite (or even those odd 'the favorite' items) would be a pretty unique lid... I'm pretty sure I've never seen a favorite lid marked with raised letters on top...

So I was working from memory, you spotted me two of the three words, and I couldn't even get right then:oops: Boy do I feel stupid!. As you can see its Premium Hollow Ware

The lodge has a heat ring but no other obvious markings. Maybe after a little cleaning...

Attachments

• Lid top.jpg
    Lid top.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Lid bottom.jpg
    Lid bottom.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Lodge10.jpg
    Lodge10.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 62
Can you post a picture or the bottom of the spider skillet so I can see the feet. I have seen several "slip marks" on recast lid molds. Yours has a slip mark, but a small one compared to the examples I have seen. A slip mark is a patch that covered a gate mark from a example that was used to make a recast mold from a lid. The new gate mark is usually located away from the center of the lid. With the slip mark usually being in the center covering the donor lids old gate scar. Most recast lids have have handle or raised outer fire ring imperfections. Your example looks to have raised fire ring imperfections. I would like to see the bottom of the spider skillet.

Here are pictures of the top and bottom of the spider skillet. Before this one I had never seen a skillet with such tall legs. Can you tell me anything about them? Who is the manufacturer and does the lid belong to the skillet?

Attachments

• spider top.jpg
    spider top.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 47
  • spider boyyom.jpg
    spider boyyom.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 55
It a handled dutch oven. Made to cook with coals under and on top. Anything a modern oven can do can be done with that. It has the older "D" shaped feet and what appears to be a casters mark on the bottom.
Sorry, I do not know what company made that.
Is the lid a tight fit or snug fit?
Most are matched up from different sets.
I have handled many marked Spider lids, but I have not seen that lettering.
I am guessing the lid was made using another lid as a pattern due to the slip mark.

The lid fits nice and snug. Either the lid or skillet are not completely level because it only fits real nice in one position... when you can read the lettering while looking at it from the handle end. If you rotate it it will rock or not seal up real well.

For years my parents used it on the hearth to cook sweet potatoes and keep them warm for Thanksgiving dinner. After a good cleaning I think I'll be adding it to the camper galley to use while camping.

Well winter has finally broken so last week I set up an e-tank and started on my pile of old iron. First in the tank was a Piqua #9. It has a lot of pitting on the bottom but its flat and the inside is in great shape. I already have it in use. Yesterday I seasoned my Wagner drip-drop roaster lid for the dutch oven. don't know what the oven is. The only marking on the bottom is "5qt" and a small "x".

Here are some pics of the Piqua.
piqua rusty.jpg

piqua 1.jpg

piqua 2.jpg

Back