• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Breakfast Skillet

BrianS

Been cooking a breakfast skillet in cast iron. Turns out pretty good.
I'm on a low sodium diet so I have to make up for the lack of salt with spices

I'm not a very good cup of this tablespoon of that kind of guy so I just add to taste

dice a couple medium Red potatoes (I tried yukon gold and they don't work)
finely chop about a fourth of a large onion
finely chop a quarter of a green pepper.
If you want it to look good you can add a part of a red pepper
Paprika
Black pepper to taste (I use lots)
Salt to taste (I use none)

meat
bacon, (I use low sodium Kirkland brand bacon from costco)
ham
sausage
or hamburger

Melt a quarter cube ( or more) of butter in the skillet (I use no salt butter)
Add the potatoes and peppers, paprika, black pepper and salt(optional)
After it cooks for a while, add the onions since they cook faster than the peppers and potatoes

In a separate bowl, mix 4 eggs and milk.

When the potatoes and peppers/onion are about done, add the eggs and milk and cook til thoroughly done.

I cook the bacon separate and add when I add the eggs, but the others can be added at first and cooked with the potatoes

Serves two. Or I make it at night for supper and have the rest for breakfast.
I've doubled the recipe for more people.

I am still experimenting with more spices to see what tastes the best.

Last edited:
Sounds interesting, Brian. Keep at it--it sounds like you cook like my hubby. Yummy results from let's try this and that! I'm a measure it out by the recipe kind of person, so we often compare our different techniques. I have found savory is an interesting flavor in this kind of dish. I bet your instinct will lead you into some really interesting foods--just remember, keep that cast iron pan at the ready--they are primo cooking utensils!

I didn't care much for Mrs Dash Original, but have tried some of the others and was surprised that a couple of them aren't bad. I like the Fiesta Lime and Chipotle ones.

Hey Brian,

Do you add the eggs and let them cook or do you stir/scramble them as they cook?

What about some type of cheese?

Wally

Hey Brian,

Do you add the eggs and let them cook or do you stir/scramble them as they cook?

What about some type of cheese?

Wally

Sorry I'm so slow getting back. forgot my password for a while.

I just scramble/stir them in and let em cook.
cheese would be great but I can't find a low sodium one for me.

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

I didn't care much for Mrs Dash Original, but have tried some of the others and was surprised that a couple of them aren't bad. I like the Fiesta Lime and Chipotle ones.

I'll try a couple. we use the original in roasts. and I do have at least one other. but never tried it, Thanks

Back