Pieces from a Recent Estate Tag Sale

D_Madden

https://imgur.com/gallery/XnPdFLs

some background: I know nothing about the people who collected all this iron... this was a 4 day estate tag sale... (prices are as marked the first day, 20% off the second day, total of 40% off the third day and 50% off the original price the 4th day). there were a lot of gem pans and toys and other stuff... and only a few griswold and martin skillets... no dutch ovens, a couple of waffle irons... odd collection, mostly gem pans. I went on the first day and got a few pieces that I thought were good deals (the griswold trivet for $12, the griswold #27 wheat pan for $40, the gf filley #12 for $55, the toy wagner bailed griddles for $12 each and the martin ballard and ballard griddle)... then I couldn't make it the next day, but was there when they opened the door saturday and got some more pieces (40% off their listed price). and then I went back the final day and got a few more pieces for 50% off... and there was still a lot of gem pans left when I left sunday afternoon. there are a few other pieces not pictured, the two piece erie broiler pans, a griswold erie iron with the wooden handle... I spent quite a bit, but I wouldn't find some of these pieces at auctions or flea markets and antique stores in years of looking.

I would liked to have seen what was left. Nice haul. Gem pans will set you back a bit. Especially the really old ones, early 1900's and older.

I would liked to have seen what was left. Nice haul. Gem pans will set you back a bit. Especially the really old ones, early 1900's and older.

I should have taken some pictures.. but it was pretty crowded and hectic every time I was there. This was one of those estate sales where the sale is in the house. there was a hallway between the kitchen and garage about 10 or 12 feet long, with a small room off of each side... iron, mostly gem pans, hanging floor to ceiling along both walls, above the doors, then hanging on part of two of the walls of one of the rooms off the hallway and sitting out on a table and countertop in that room...there were only about 6 skillets and 1 handled griddle in the whole sale (of course one of the skillets was a slant erie #2, no I didn't get that one) the others were mostly hamburger martins... everything else was gem pans... and toys... a few were gf filley, I got the #7,

In all my hunting of estate sales and flea markets, I have never seen even one gem pan. Lots of corn stick and bread roll pans, but no gem pans. Great find.

Back