Getting a Gas Hook-up Finally

We recently moved from a home with natural gas to one that is all electric. I absolutely despise an electric stove with iron cookware. The heat just isnt right imho. I finally put my foot down and got a 120 gallon LP tank on schedule for delivery and installation. I went and bought the stove after work today. I wonder how the wife is going to take this. LOL

Wow Greg....jealous... out here in the desert southwest the code requirements for adding gas were cost prohibitive (and extensive) when I checked in to it... would love to have gas. Well done.

Charles

I’m jealous. I have a gas furnace and water heater, so I already have gas in my house. I got a plumber to come out and give me an estimate on running a gas line so I could be in a gas cooktop. The estimate was $1,200!! Not sure why it was so high. From where the line comes into my basement, to where it would go up into my kitchen, is only about 15-20 feet. Looks like I’m stuck with electric until I win the lotto.

I’m jealous. I have a gas furnace and water heater, so I already have gas in my house. I got a plumber to come out and give me an estimate on running a gas line so I could be in a gas cooktop. The estimate was $1,200!! Not sure why it was so high. From where the line comes into my basement, to where it would go up into my kitchen, is only about 15-20 feet. Looks like I’m stuck with electric until I win the lotto.

That estimate seems way out of line for something that should only take a couple of hours. I'd get a second opinion.

I agree with TY, I had a gas line run in January so i could switch from electric to gas stove. My natural gas line was already into the house for the furnace, but on opposite end of the house. They ran almost the entire width of my house and up into the kitchen, including hooking up my existing dryer with proper lines, and my bill was $600 for parts/labor.

I had gas water heater and furnace and electric stove when I bought my house. Had the actual gas & electric utility company come out and they ran a line for about $300-400. Well worth it as I just can't cook on electric. I think you got a bad estimate. If you really want gas you should check other sources.

Add me to the list of people who had gas furnace and hot water heater (even had an outside hookup for the nat gas grill)... but no line run to the stove. Got a couple of estimates... probably only had to extend the line about 20 ft from the furnace in the basement. I think we paid $400 for labor and materials and then paid a drywall guy to patch the holes they made in the finished basement ceiling... probably close to $600 in total... but the real cost was the stove that my wife wanted... samsung dual fuel, dual door... gas burners on top, electric convection split into two sections (that can be used for different things and opened separately or pull the divider out for one big oven) there's a long story but we found one on store clearance for about $1600.

Wow D Madden... I usually share these posts with my bride ...but I think I'll
keep your post to myself... sounds like a great stove /oven ...just afraid mine
will think she needs it ! :icon_rofl:

btw..looked that up ...Mercy ! :eek:

Charles

Yeah, the price has actually come down on them in the last year or so... when they were the hot new thing the retail price was $2900. My wife found one in the 'scratch and dent' markdown section at the local Lowes. They didn't stock them at the time, this one was a special order that the person then cancelled the order after this unit had already been sent to the store... they partially unboxed it but otherwise it was a new undamaged unit that they marked down to $2300. My wife looked at it, did some research, decided that was exactly the set of features she wanted... looked at it again, did some more research... made me look at it, tried to convince me that 2300 was a good deal since it was 600 off retail. we decided to wait a while and keep an eye on the 'clearance' unit. We went in on a sunday morning, it was still there, same price but the sales guy was busy helping other people, so we decided to go to lunch. Came back from lunch and the clearance price was marked down to $1600... so we took it and arranged for them to deliver it. Then they dropped a microwave on it before they delivered it to the house... so after a lot of phone calls and some yelling and cursing they agreed to replace it with a new undamaged unit... it took an extra week and a half but they did what they said they would.

Add me to the list of people who had gas furnace and hot water heater (even had an outside hookup for the nat gas grill)... but no line run to the stove. Got a couple of estimates... probably only had to extend the line about 20 ft from the furnace in the basement. I think we paid $400 for labor and materials and then paid a drywall guy to patch the holes they made in the finished basement ceiling... probably close to $600 in total... but the real cost was the stove that my wife wanted... samsung dual fuel, dual door... gas burners on top, electric convection split into two sections (that can be used for different things and opened separately or pull the divider out for one big oven) there's a long story but we found one on store clearance for about $1600.
I would love to have a dual fuel range. Alot of chefs and cooking professionals wont use anything else. Maybe when this oven conks out. its brand new so it should last for about 3 or 4 years. LOL

---------- Post added at 02:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 AM ----------

That is ridiculous amount for that. Alot of times if a contractor doesnt want to do a job they give a really high estimate in hopes that you will say no. That was it doesnt look as bad for them to flat out tell you they dont want to do it.

Im going to pipe mine in myself, and its on a crawlspace. The hardest part will be drilling a hole in the concrete block for the pipe to come out. I expect to be done in about an hour and a half.

I would love to have a dual fuel range. Alot of chefs and cooking professionals wont use anything else. Maybe when this oven conks out. its brand new so it should last for about 3 or 4 years. LOL

that's kind of the rest of the story... the stove that we replaced was the one that was in the house when we bought it... and it was probably old then... white... with the little clock face timer on the back... electric coils... but it worked fine... we redid the kitchen shortly after we moved in, but kept the stove because we didn't see anything we liked better... over the years we had replaced the dishwasher with stainless steel... and the fridge a few years later with stainless steel... and there sat the white stove (17 years later). So we were long past due for a new stove.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Those are the kind of numbers I expected and was shocked at the price he quoted. Y’all have renewed my hope! Ha! I’ll call another plumber and get another estimate. Hmmm ... Thanksgiving is quickly approaching ... i’d Better get moving. Ha!

I got the gas line ran today. It only took 4 trips to the hardware store LOL. I got it done in just under 3 Hours. I spent $20 on a drill bit I will probably never use again. Took a little longer than I had originally thought, but I had help from a 4 year old. Now we wait on the gas company to set the tank. I couldn't have picked a worse time of year to do this.

This project has turned into a royal nightmare. Everything on my end is done and ready for the installation of the propane tank. The company keeps pushing it back. I looked into getting my own tank set and regulator then I could buy gas from any vendor I want. I couldn't find the size tank I wanted. Finally on Friday they called to tell me they will be bringing the tank to set it and fill it on Tuesday if they get the truck fixed. I sure hope they come thru, we are having thanksgiving at our house this year.

Back