3 Notch Martin Hamburger Logo, with Original Label...

D_Madden

got this at an auction today... any thoughts? try to clean it up... or leave it as is with the label on there? I figure the value is in being never used with the label... but it is rusty, especially on the bottom. also, what do you suppose the 'pre seasoning' was at this point in time? wax? mineral oil? it kind of worked for 50 or 60 years or so.

Honestly, if it was mine, I would probably try to just work on the bottom of it. By that I mean Easy Off on the bottom and try to leave the lable in place. Or like he said.....leave it be, lol.....im of no help I guess. Thanks for the pics, I have never seen that label.

I was working on some other pans and it was just sitting there staring at me, looking all sad and neglected... so I rubbed around on the bottom with some steel wool and it started looking better... then I did some more... the inside sidewalls.. .then a bit on the bottom near the label... the rust mostly just came off... there was a deeper rust spot on the heat ring, near one of the notches... I wasn't going to season it so I rubbed some food grade mineral oil on it so it wouldn't rust any more. it's more respectable now for never having been used. and I didn't touch that label. can't believe it has survived as long as it has in the condition that its in.

Back