Gate Marked Oval Griddle

Looks like something that would set on a BSR Sportsman Grill but the resemblance stops there. The Portland Stove Co. in Maine made some pieces that married up to the Sportsman grill but they were not part of the BSR line so who knows??? Anyway looks to be a nice find.

I'd characterize it more as a sad iron heater. Looks like two sets of gates, one pair on the pan used as a pattern ground mostly flat, the second pair closer to the ends used to cast the piece.

Definitely a sad iron heater - although I have read that they often did double duty as a griddle, that's how I use mine. Dedicated griddles often had a perimeter 'drain' (for lack of a better term - I need coffee) and/or pour spouts to drain off the oil.
Nice find! ;)

Definitely a sad iron heater - although I have read that they often did double duty as a griddle, that's how I use mine. Dedicated griddles often had a perimeter 'drain' (for lack of a better term - I need coffee) and/or pour spouts to drain off the oil.
Nice find! ;)

Rob....Hate to sound argumentative about your decision that it's "Definitely" a sad iron heater without having documentation to do so. I own/have several Griswold "griddles" oval shaped and rectangular that do "not" have the perimeter drains so I think it may be a little inclusive for readers seeking accurate information by using "definitely" without the documentation that would normally be referenced in these post that many people read. Anyone having the Griswold BB can see that on page 60 (Oval Griddle #10) top of page looks quiet similar to the griddle here posted w/ exception to the handles and does not have the referenced "drain". Agreed these type pieces were probably used for both task but Griswold labeled "most" all their pieces as griddles that were intended for that use.
No hard feelings......

There are no experts, just people who have had the opportunity to have seen more stuff than others and are willing to share what they've seen.

Back