Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 03-07-2017, 08:28 PM

Default How to Clean Off Faint Markings

I bought this favorite piqua ware smiley #5 this past weekend and after being in the etank overnight, this pan is turning out to be a gorgeous pan, flat, and cooking surface is almost flawless. Problem I have is the paint marker or whatever the seller used to mark the pan, is still visible after scrubbing with a stainless steel brush. I hope I can remove this, it would be disappointing for that to be permanently on such a nice pan. The album shows the before pics and what it looks like now after etank and scrubbing. Will a 50/50 vinegar soak and some 0000 steel wool do it?
https://imgur.com/a/qeC6E
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2017, 08:41 PM
Site Admin

Default Re: How to Clean Off Faint Markings

Try the vinegar, but it may not work. Rubbing alcohol or mineral spirits would be some other options.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:50 PM

I'm assuming since you suggested it, that alcohol or mineral spirits shouldn't hurt the pan, what about carb and choke cleaner? I have plenty of that around
Old 03-07-2017, 08:56 PM
Site Admin

Worth a shot. I wouldn't spray the pan, just some on a rag and see if it does any good. Should wash off with Dawn.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:58 PM

Ok I'll give it a shot and report back, I really hope it comes off as this pan is super nice and I was really excited about it until I seen the markings
Old 03-07-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyL View Post
what about carb and choke cleaner? I have plenty of that around
Heck yes ! I use that stuff for everything. Just a good scrub/wash afterwards, and no problem.....I bet it removes those marks, too !
Old 03-07-2017, 10:25 PM

So far the 50/50 vinegar soak for a half hour didn't do it, the 0000 steel wool lightened everything but didn't remove it, and Goof Off adhesive remover didn't touch it either. I will try mineral spirits and carb cleaner tomorrow, any other suggestions? I'm pretty disappointed as this is my best quality find so far
Old 03-08-2017, 01:59 AM

Jeffrey, I'm wondering if the paint blocked the cleaning action for a short time before it came off--the mark looks dark, rather than white. If that's the case, what you're seeing is an area that didn't have as much actual cleaning time as the rest of the pan. It would be a situation sort of like when the skin under your sunglasses stays a different color from the rest of your face, even though you took the glasses off after a couple of hours. I'm thinking that mark will totally disappear after several rounds of seasoning and your beautiful pan turns black.

Just my thoughts, of course....
Old 03-08-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaM View Post
Jeffrey, I'm wondering if the paint blocked the cleaning action for a short time before it came off--the mark looks dark, rather than white. If that's the case, what you're seeing is an area that didn't have as much actual cleaning time as the rest of the pan. It would be a situation sort of like when the skin under your sunglasses stays a different color from the rest of your face, even though you took the glasses off after a couple of hours. I'm thinking that mark will totally disappear after several rounds of seasoning and your beautiful pan turns black.

Just my thoughts, of course....
So your thinking maybe the paint maybe had a "ghosting" effect? That is possible since when I took it out of the tank the paint was still intact until I hit it with the wire brush......so how does one try to remove ghost marks if that's what it is?
Old 03-08-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyL View Post
......so how does one try to remove ghost marks if that's what it is?
If that's indeed, what it is, I don't think you can remove them, however, as suggested above, it should eventually disappear as the CI is used and continues to season.