Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Show & Tell

Notices

Show & Tell Share Your Cast Iron Cookware Finds and Restorations

Old 03-13-2015, 05:42 PM

Default Huntin Iron

Cast iron is slow & elusive so wear camo & hunt from a bike! Figured I would try posting some recent finds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150313_173657.jpg (73.4 KB, 86 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2015, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Huntin Iron

Nice.

I was actually going to post in your other thread that I almost have more fun doing electrolysis and experimenting with seasonings than actually hunting for iron. I just want to build my dream set so I can use them!

I'm looking for heat ringed Griswolds (or possibly other super-smooth iron like my no-notch Lodge). What's your favorite so far and what are you hoping to find in the future?
Old 03-13-2015, 06:27 PM

BSR is really abundant & usually very smooth, like it a lot. Have all sorts of awesome iron but I actually use some no name stuff with excellent results. (Even some modern Lodge) looking for spiderpan!
Old 03-13-2015, 09:35 PM

Guess this is a boring pic. Till I tell you the whole spread was 65$. Lets see y'alls best 5$ buys!
Old 03-13-2015, 10:44 PM

I think that is a fantastic jackpot on your part! Congrats! I don't have a $5 find, but a $10 find in the old Lodge three notch skillet. Unfortunately, iron finds around me are quite limited. I think a lot of people are snatching up everything there is for resale. But I am okay with that.

I really have all I need now for user cookware, though I like the idea of picking up a skillet here and there, and cleaning & seasoning them for friends or family who don't have any as Christmas gifts, and maybe including a few of my favorite skillet recipes (and a link to this forum ) to help get them started.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:40 AM

I've picked up a lot of 5$ stuff, but its a hard price to negotiate to with a straight face! You gotta remember its just some old rusty pan to alot of folks! ( some of em vote, that's scary!) I just take advantage of their ignorance & go on! ("No Holds Barred", Deathrace 2000)
Old 03-14-2015, 07:21 AM

I like that big block #7 there Tom.

Yeah, most of my hunting has been limited to eBay and antique shops. The upside to the antique shops is that there is a decent amount of cast iron around here since they made a good bit here in Ohio. The downside is that most of the people selling it know what they have. They're not giving it away.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithC View Post
Yeah, most of my hunting has been limited to eBay and antique shops. The upside to the antique shops is that there is a decent amount of cast iron around here since they made a good bit here in Ohio. The downside is that most of the people selling it know what they have. They're not giving it away.
Ditto! Except for the maker-origin part. Even at the flea market here, those with any CI (even rusty, dirty stuff) are asking a lot for it with minimal budge on price. That's the only reason I turn to ebay. At least there you can get variety, a good idea of the item, it's already mostly clean, and you have a better idea what you're getting. That one pot I got from the flea market (with suspected heat damage) had so many layers of crud and dirt on it, I couldn't see the redness at all till wire brushing and stripping it down.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:52 AM

Todays finds, #8 & #10 unmarked Wagner made in U.S.A. , + this crusty I dont know what! 15$ for all. As found condition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150314_084422-1.jpg (78.4 KB, 35 views)
Old 03-14-2015, 09:01 AM

I see your find has a lot of Griswold. Great iron, but I'm also finding mostly Griswold and Wagner during my hunting raids. Probably not a bad problem to have. However, when I look at the bottom of a new find and don't see Favorite Piqua, Martin, Wapak, or Vollrath's sideway number I get mildly disappointed. I'm currently tracking an O'Brien & O'Brien skillet that's listed on a local auction site. I guess I just like variety.