Help identifying Wagner Ware

JanW

I was at a garage sale today, and picked up two cast iron skillets for $2 each, and a cast iron griddle for .50. The griddle is kind of rusty, and says it is Mexican Fiesta made in China (go figure). One skillet just says "11 2/4 inch skillet", which seems odd, that it wouldn't just say 11 1/2. The interesting one, though, is a Wagner Ware Sidney O, logo high, and on the bottom says 9c. This pan has a heat ring. There is a lot of crud on the bottom, but that's all it appears to have on it. I have been trying to estimate the age/era, and think it's from the 1920's-30's, but I'm kind of new at this. Thought I would ask here and see if anyone can help shed light on it. I appreciate any insights.

Prior to pattern numbers, or in Wagner's case "catalog numbers", manufacturers designated the sizes of their skillets to match the woodstove eyes they fit. Sizes were not standardized across all makers, but they were close. Wagner started converting over to catalog numbers in the early 1920s, with some overlap. Your pan may have been produced as late as 1925-1930. More info can be found at : http://www.castironcollector.com/numbers.php

Thanks Doug! That confirms to me that I was on the right track in figuring out what I had found. I think it was well worth the $2 I paid for it! lol It's got a lot of crud on the outside, and a small amount of rust inside. The inside surface is actually pretty decent though, I think it will refurbish nicely. My first Wagner!

I'm curious about the other skillet, the one with the weird measurement "11 2/4", as it actually seems to be a well made skillet with a very smooth surface inside. But there are no markings other than that measurement to help identify it. It may remain a mystery.

Back