Price Check Please

MikeL

I saw this one today at a flea market. It's flat, no cracks, and the plating looks to be intact. Is $70 a good price for it? They might come down 10%.

2017-03-10 13.50.52.jpg 2017-03-10 13.51.19.jpg 2017-03-10 13.54.50.jpg

ive seen them sell for $200. just make sure the 2 halves fit nice n tight together. looks like the plating is missing in spots, especially on the bottom half.

Last edited:
I'm sure you have a better take on it, having seen it in person, but are you certain that's intact plating with build up on it, and not black areas where plating has worn off?

Mine's not plated and it seems like most plated pieces, unless they're in pristine condition, don't sell for as much as non plated iron. I didn't pay anywhere near $200 for mine nor the one I gave to my son and both are/were in excellent condition. 'Course I haven't seen every one sold, either.

IMG_1802_zpsfufeh52w.jpg

Well, now you've got me second guessing my self, it may have a few bad spots. If it is missing a little plating, about how much is it worth? I don't particularly like the plating, is it possible to remove all of it, and would that increase or decrease the value?

I think if Kevin threw his up on eBay with that photo and an asking price of $70, it would sell instantly. With worn plating, probably not. Removing plating is a huge pain.

Mike, of course it depends on what your collecting goals are but I think you made a good decision to pass on this piece based on condition and price. I've seen some beginning collectors who think they need to buy every piece of iron they see. They eventually end up with a bunch of common pieces when they could have been more discerning and saved their money for more desirable pieces. Again, this all depends on an individuals goals in regards to collecting and/or reselling.
On another note, what was he asking for the Sportsman pan on the floor in your last pic? :grin:

Thank you Jeff for your comments.

I'm new to the cast iron world, and still trying to decide what my goals are. Luckily I have a friend with a booth at a local antique mall that lets me sell the ones that I've decided that I didn't want, and so far I don't believe that I've bought anything that I can't get my money back on.

The Sportsman pan was $40 and it appeared to be in very good condition. They also had a larger one on the front porch that was $30 but it had a little surface rust.

2017-03-10 13.30.13.jpg

That doesn't look like a Sportsman deep fryer. Looks like a ham boiler, but if they had a Sportsman deep fryer for $40 that's a very fair price even without the lid.

I bought a lid like the one pictured, well close. It has the circles on top and the same handle. It came in a stack, that I bought cheap. I always wondered who made it. Mine it shallower and has a hinge opposite the handle. Any thoughts?

Back