Blue Book, Red Book

Nick_N

Most books currently available on CI collecting are woefully outdated. The most recent printing of the "blue book" was in 2010, and wasn't much of a revision over its previous editions. Ten year-old values were not even updated to reflect then-current pricing. It does, however, still have value as a resource. You can see it and the "red book" at the Shopping link in the nav bar above.

So, stupid question....Is the Cast iron Blue Book and Red Book, actually titled, Blue Book & Red Book ?

If not, could someone post the actual title and the author (maybe a pic). I may be interested in one of these, but right now, I'm not even sure which one to look for ?

Also, what is the most widely used & recognized - Red Book or Blue Book ?

Nick, while these book titles sound almost the same, the books emphasize/include different brands. I think you'd be happy having them both.

Answers to many questions (stupid or otherwise) can also be found on the main website:

See: http://www.castironcollector.com/shopping.php

Okay, I had already seen that, and also the shopping link (I looked - I saw - B4 asking). What I have not seen, though, are the words (imaginary or otherwise), "Blue Book" and/or "Red Book", only references made in your posts ! There are other "realms of interest" in this world, other than cast iron, that likewise use this same terminology, "Blue Book & Red Book", but those words actually show up in the title of the book. All I wanted to know was the actual title of the cast iron "Blue & Red" books. Are you guys just calling that, simply based on the color of the book covers ? How are people, like myself, that are "new" to the world of Cast Iron, suppose to know that ? At $25 - $30 a pop, one would like to be sure ! :icon_scratchchin:

Okay, are these the correct books ? Y / N :?:

IMG_0653.JPG The Book of Griswold and Wagner: Favorite Wapak, Sidney Hollow Ware

IMG_0654.JPG The Book of Wagner and Griswold: Martin, Lodge, Vollrath, Excelsior (A Schiffer Book for Collectors)

Not just my posts. People call them that because, yes, they are red and blue covered, and it's just too tedious to have to type "The Book of Wagner & Griswold" every time they are referred to. Most go even further to just refer to them as BB and RB. Those terms and many others not familiar to newcomers are also explained at http://www.castironcollector.com/glossary.php.

Not just my posts. People call them that because, yes, they are red and blue covered, and it's just too tedious to have to type "The Book of Wagner & Griswold" every time they are referred to. Most go even further to just refer to them as BB and RB. Those terms and many others not familiar to newcomers are also explained at http://www.castironcollector.com/glossary.php.

Thanks Doug, and I wasn't just singling out your posts, or didn't mean to be, anyway. And yes, I likewise had picked up on the BB & RB references, but that still didn't positively ID the books for me. I thought I had exhausted my search possibilities, but I didn't think about the "Glossary" ( Oops ! ). I just wasn't expecting the Blue Book, or the Red Book, to have a title which directly referenced any particular brand or brands of cookware. Now I know !! :biggrin:

The page linked to has four books on it: one red, one blue, one yellow, and one gray. All are commonly referred to by the color of their covers.

The one up top takes a few seconds to load, as it is pulling current item info from Amazon on multiple items when it does. Either that, or you have an ad blocker installed that may be the culprit.

Back