Grooved handle question

Bonnie Scott

I just purchased a small skillet with the grooved handle like the Griswold small logo. It was advertised as a Wagner but the logo was obscured by gunk. Did Wagner make a skillet with that same grooved handle? I don't see one in the logo picture list for Wagner. :icon_scratchchin:

I know I've seen a grooved handled skillet that wasn't a small logo griswold, but I can't remember offhand what it actually was.

If the logo was obscured, it's more than likely a griswold under the gunk and it's just mislabled. Check the size # on top of the handle if it's visible, the font used might give you a hint as to what's present under the gunk on the bottom.

eBay sellers often copy verbiage from previous auctions, and get confused in the process. Or they post the wrong photos. The buyer in this case may end up with what's pictured, or they may receive a Wagner 1053. Good reasons to always ask questions and not assume anything.

Doug, would it be considered acceptable practice if I received another skillet than the one pictured? I wouldn't have bothered to purchase it if I had in fact believed it to be a wagner. Also, does it look like a Griswold to you?

Yes, the photos appear to be of a Griswold. I would not consider describing one skillet and showing another as an acceptable practice. Although I do enjoy finding those auctions for Wagner skillets that show the pan but fail to mention words like "pie logo" in the description. :)

I realize I myself am being a little sneaky by buying something I know is in fact not what is being described but that is the only way I can find a bargain. I was afraid my questions might tip the seller off to what they actually had. That being said, I would still have hurt feelings if I actually received a Wagner 3. Yes, it would serve me right but I wouldn't like it.

I did think about this purchase you made John. I was thinking about how you seemed so very calm about it and was wondering if I might have to make additional purchases to finally end up with the right skillet. :razz:

You can always ask for a refund, a return, or a partial refund. Looks like no matter what shows up you will have grounds to make a "Significantly Not as Described" claim since the photo and text are clearly not representing the same item.
Who doesn't love a good mystery?

I did think about this purchase you made John. I was thinking about how you seemed so very calm about it and was wondering if I might have to make additional purchases to finally end up with the right skillet. :razz:

Haha! I have very low expectations with anything that involves ebay, which is probably best since I have experienced nothing but disappointment in the end. Hopefully you have better luck!

I recently had to return a Griswold slant 7 skillet that arrived with the handle busted off. :cry: I must say it was a very painless process to return for a refund. The seller sent me a return label and I repackaged it, the way it (should have) been packed, handed it to the mailman and got a refund in 3 days.

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

John E, I have to get a picture of my most recent ebay fail. It will show you that you are not alone in your ebay bad choices. I was really just to ashamed of myself for buying it that I didn't want to show a picture, but I will, to help ease your pain. :icon_rofl:
http://i.imgur.com/7NXsic2.jpg

I think I will put it back on ebay with a title that says, L@@K !!!RARE!!! :laughup:

Last edited:
]John E, I have to get a picture of my most recent ebay fail. It will show you that you are not alone in your ebay bad choices. I was really just to ashamed of myself for buying it that I didn't want to show a picture, but I will, to help ease your pain. :icon_rofl:
http://i.imgur.com/7NXsic2.jpg

I think I will put it back on ebay with a title that says, L@@K !!!RARE!!! :laughup:

Still looks like a potentially good user! I need to go dig my last fail out of the lye tonight and see if any identifying marks ever emerged. It looks an awful lot like that one, maybe even worse.

I recently had to return a Griswold slant 7 skillet that arrived with the handle busted off. :cry:

I've got a few laying around here that for some reason the seller didn't want to pay to have shipped back after I send them photos of the cracks, broken handles, etc....

It becomes almost painful when you find THE one you're looking for, spend the "Big Bucks" mail the seller a link to the Packing & Shipping guide here, and the seller sends your piece in a non padded envelope, it arrives with the handle sticking out of the box, in a box with no padding, because, WTF! It's cast iron, it's bulletproof, it's indestructible!!

Kills me because now there's one less of what I've been looking for, hunting for and wanting to complete a set.... Thanks for nothing!

The packaged arrived while I was at work. I was pretty excited to see it when I got home, then I picked up the box and heard that clanking sound. I don't like that sound. I knew right away it was not a bonus free skillet.

The packaged arrived while I was at work. I was pretty excited to see it when I got home, then I picked up the box and heard that clanking sound. I don't like that sound. I knew right away it was not a bonus free skillet.

Ouch!!

I recently bought one of my white wales from ebay, it arrived packed so well I might have to post photos in a new thread...

Thanks for clarifying that for me John. I never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the shed. :) Some of the Pyrex pieces I collect are sometimes referred to as whales so it kind of threw me off.

Back