Good Cheer? A brand that is new to me.

BenjaminO

I got skunked at the flea market today, or so I thought. Found just two pieces of iron. The first is a No.9 Dutch Oven with no lid, and of a brand that I've never heard of: Good Cheer. It looks like a high quality piece, and rather similar to a Griswold, in fact I think I can almost see a ghost of the large logo cross. I will put up pictures once it's clean. Is anyone familiar with this trademark? The logo looks very similar to this one:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_lq-N7tlPG-c/TSUJRW1vfoI/AAAAAAAAAFs/BWq6TG90CEM/s1600/100_3735.JPG

The second piece is a crusty well loved Le Crueset lasagna pan with cool swinging steel handles that I just might have to keep for myself.

I'm feeling better and better about my two unusual finds.

The trademark does seem to be the same. Perhaps this maker should be added to the list of Canadian manufacturers on the main site.

So this strange Good Cheer DO cleaned up fine, the inside is nice and smooth. The outside is a bit inconsistent, and there is a strange ground off ring around the base. I'm guessing this was done at the factory, perhaps removing the casting gate? Maybe someone can explain the strange ring. I'm convinced this is a copy or a recast of a Griswold DO, I can see the faintest ghost of a large cross trademark behind the "Good Cheer" mark.
DSCF8517 by Refinders, on Flickr
DSCF8515 by Refinders, on Flickr
DSCF8513 by Refinders, on Flickr
DSCF8512 by Refinders, on Flickr
What are your thoughts on this piece?

The grinding ring near the bottom is the gate. Older Griswolds also have it, albeit usually a bit more cleanly executed, but they abandoned the practice in favor of the more typical gating at the top lip. If I am seeing what I think I am, there looks to be artifacts of top gating at the rim, which would support it being a recast, likely from a Griswold.

Thanks Doug, I knew you'd be able to explain it! So I suppose I have a Canadian copy of an American piece using a casting style more archaic than the piece being copied. Sounds like Good Cheer to me!

Good Cheer was actually made by James Stewart Manufacturing out of Woodstock, Ontario. Still not sure if they created the company or bought it. Pretty sure they bought it.

Had no idea they branded hollow ware with "Good Cheer". Nice piece.

She "high graded" it. I suppose it was a good fit for some other piece she had, perhaps a skillet. Can't complain though, it was only $5, topless.

I've paid a lot more that that for topless (and a beer)

(Don't shoot me Doug D), I couldn't help myself

Back