Spider leg skillets

Shawn R

While out searching for cast iron this weekend, we came across 2 skillets with legs. One was about 10 in and the other about 8 in. I don't remember any identifying marks, maybe a number on the handle. I wish we would have taken a picture. The bottom of both pans had gate marks. The tag said the were circa 1850's. Both had some rust and pitting but not bad. Asking price was $35 on one and $45 on the other.

We didn't buy them, reasoning that we want to start getting CI to use and cook with everyday, and the purchase of these would take away from what could be spent on other items we will use on a regular basis. I am now starting to second guess our choice to not purchase. I don't know if we would use the legged skillets much, if at all; but I think I will regret not getting them when we had a chance.

Are spider leg skillets really rare? Should I be kicking myself for not buying?
Is the asking price reasonable if I go back? Thanks

I saw a gate marked aluminum spider legged sauce pan this weekend, and I wondered the same things about it. It looks like cast iron versions sell on ebay pretty often for $10 to $20, with nice branded models fetching up to $75. I think the asking price on the pieces you found was on the high side. Better to save for the pieces you will use :)

I would say an aluminum spider would have to be a recast copy made from an iron one.

I saw a gate marked aluminum spider legged sauce pan this weekend, and I wondered the same things about it.

Probably a metal shop project or something like that...

Wagner-1053-fake-bottom,medium.1421223377.jpg
Wagner-1053-fake-top,medium.1421223362.jpg

I've found two of these so far, both less than $5 and I pick them up just because I think they're neat. Both of the ones I have are Wagner 1053's. This one, actually not a bad cast, the other, not so great.

Wagner-no3-1053U-Aluminum-bottom,medium.1411352443.jpg
Wagner-no3-1053U-Aluminum-top,medium.1411352484.jpg

Back