Dutch Oven and Oblong Pan

BeckyR

Here are two pieces which I'd like to learn more about. I will add them in two separate replies, below. One is a Dutch oven, one is an oblong pan. Any info you can offer would be helpful. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

I have just stripped the gummy residue off of this oven, and will tackle the rust today. I feel this piece is special. Maybe you can help me learn if it special indeed, or just special to me. The rim on the top is really tall. There is no question, to its size: There is a huge “11 IN” applied to the handle, and “11” applied to the lid. The loop on the top of the handle appears to be applied in two parts.

ImageImage

ImageImage

One more pic:

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

And here is the oblong pan. It is marked with a raised 7, but it measures approximately 9”x19”. I’m not sure what its intended use was. I chill it and then put drinks on it when I have a party.

ImageImageImage

Sorry if my pictures are too big. I reduced them, but photo editing and posting is tricky business.

The long pan is called a "long pan or sad iron heater" and could be used for cooking or heating sad irons over a wood/coal range firebox with the lids removed.

The oven looks like an old one with the bottom gate. Determining the maker will probably prove impossible. The handle is actually cast with the cover and is not "applied" as it might appear. The 'joint' between ends is there because the handle on the pattern would pivot open to allow the pattern to be removed from the mold. The cover and handle are all one solid piece of poured iron.

Back