Aluminum Arc Logo Lodge

SpurgeonH

Today I saw an aluminum skillet and was surprised to see a Lodge arc logo on the bottom. The skillet was so light, it had to be aluminum. I didn't buy it because the heat ring was severely damaged in a couple of spots. Kinda regretting that decision.

It looks like somebody didn't realize it was aluminum and attacked the crud with a scrapper or something. (Maybe that's how the heat ring was damaged?) There also feels like there is on bump on the handle where a raised size number would be. I wonder if that was damaged as well.

I didn't know Lodge made any aluminum. Is this for real? I don't see any mention of aluminum in the RB.

https://imgur.com/a/rZ6pV

So, you think this one is not aluminum? It was incredibly lightweight. I think I'm going back to this store next week and buy it. Whatever it is, it's unique. Or at least it's unique to me. Ha!

Looks like somebodies aluminum recast of a Lodge skillet. I imagine the damage you are referring to especially the number blob on handle is just very poor casting quality. I personally wouldn't waste my money on it.

So, you think this one is not aluminum? It was incredibly lightweight. I think I'm going back to this store next week and buy it. Whatever it is, it's unique. Or at least it's unique to me. Ha!
I was hoping you would infer from that it was a fake. Genuine aluminum skillets always have wood handles.

Gotcha. I called this morning and bought it anyway. Ha! The cleaning of these skillets, and the knowledge/experience gained from different cleaning problems, is part of the fun for me.

I'm looking forward to tackling this unique obstacle.

I'm hoping I can finishing cleaning the black crust off of it and then polish it using the method you have on the site (which I used on the Magnalite DO.)

I may be preaching to the choir, Spurge, but don't put it in your lye tank or spray it with Easy Off. Aluminum and lye (sodium hydroxide) don't play well together.

I was going to start out by soaking it in boiling water with a little Dawn thrown in. I believe the suggestion here is add a little cream of tartar to the hot water. Depending on how that goes, I may have to resort to using modern chemistry.

I watched one YouTube video where they talked about using Carbon Off on aluminum skillets. I looked up the data sheet on it and the first ingredient is dichloromethane (otherwise known as methylene chloride). I used to work for a methylene chloride producer. That was over 25 years ago, and my memory isn't what it used to be, but I seem to remember methylene chloride doesn't play very well with aluminum. If I go the chemical method, I'll need to do more research.

Back