Cast Iron Pan Identification Help

The given depth of a Victor #9 in a catalog from what would have been the inset HR period is 1-7/8" with top OD 11" and bottom 9-1/8". For a recast using an actual Victor #9 as basis for a pattern, one would expect some shrinkage relative to a genuine Victor. At 1/8" of shrink per foot, that would make the recast top/bottom a bit under those dims and the height difference so negligible as to likely be unnoticeable. Assuming, of course, the catalog dims are exact, not nominal. Is there any evidence of buttering over a TM or a ghost of one at 12 o'clock?

I can confirm the top and bottom measurements from my #9 victor... exact to what Doug stated above.
I take that back... my bottom, measuring the inset heat ring is less than 9... closer to 8 7/8

I know some time has passed here (though not much, in cast iron years!), but I got hold of something that looks likely to be identical to Ken's. It's in the lye bath now, will post photos when it's out.

Okay, it's not actually done, but I had to move the bath anyway so I'm taking the pictures now. Unlike Ken's skillet, this one seems to measure 1 6/8 (exactly) in depth, 8 1/2 heat-ring diameter, and 10 1/2 rim diameter. Dunno if this means anything!

skillhandlesmall.jpg

skillbacksmall.jpg

I think that confirms Doug D's hypothesis... that these were cast in a foundry (that knew what they were doing... not a backyard copy) using a griswold victor #9 as their pattern. and is probably still a 100 year old pan

Back