What is This "ERIE" Kettle?

C Cook

I bought this recently because it looked interesting. I know just enough about vintage cast iron to get myself in trouble.
Internet research tells me some, but not enough info.
It's a "tea" kettle (whatever you call the thing you boil water in to make tea, coffee, etc). It has "ERIE" (with the quotation marks) on the lid, and a 7 on the spout. I have found very similar kettles online, although the logo is different (no quotation marks). It has a gate mark and a porcelain knob on the lid.
The thing is, it's not black. It's a gray/silver color. It looks like the Alcoa kettles but it's magnetic, so it's not aluminum. It's also too heavy to be aluminum.
Can anyone help me?

Attachments

• IMAG1988.jpg
    IMAG1988.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 36
  • IMAG1990.jpg
    IMAG1990.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMAG1991.jpg
    IMAG1991.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 34
Thanks guys. It's not painted so I'll go with galvanized.
So, any info on that? Why it would be galvanized? I didn't find any mention of this finish online. Does it have any value, or is it just a cool display piece? The inside is rusty, btw.

Thanks Doug!
As it has no spider is it collectable? Any idea as to value? Again, thanks for all your help.

As collectible as any Erie piece, I would assume. Just not as pricey as one with a spider.

the blue book has pics of this same kettle...
lists the finishes as: iron, galvanized or tinned, Malaca, nickel
circa 1880-1920
sizes 6, 7 8 and 9
six apparently being rare as it has a value of $200... $40-70 for the other sizes.

Aha! I was not aware of the Blue Book. I'll get one asap.
Again, thank you both for your help. It's great to find a knowledgeable community that can help me learn.

Back