Chainmail Scrubbing Pad

I have a stainless steel scrub pad that I sometimes use on other things, but I have never used it on my CI. For the CI I normally just use a paper towel, or a scrub brush when needed.

Last edited:
I like mine. Give it a try. Best for lots of stuff to clean off. For just a little, I use salt and a wet paper towel.

The little scrub pad I have works great for many things. I love it for cleaning my turkey fryer, and for stubborn stuck on food that gets on my SS cookware. I just don't want to risk damaging the carefully managed surface of my 6 or 8 month old combo cooker (that has become my go to CI).

The Lodge plastic scrapers seem to work the best for me to remove most/all left in the pan.
After that a dishcloth to clean the rest.

Thanks for all the info. Just cooked and used it on my #14 Griswold. Worked great. I too have the plastic scrapers and use those for smaller cleanups.

Thanks,

The Lodge plastic scrapers seem to work the best for me to remove most/all left in the pan.
After that a dishcloth to clean the rest.

Same here. I have 2 of the brown Pampered chef scrapers that I really like. Then I also have a set of the Lodge ones. Im still warming up to them.

I just ordered a pack of the Scrapers from Amazon a few minutes ago.
Can you tell me if I'm wrong in my assumption, that the rougher a cast-iron skillet bottom is, the more easily food sticks to it? -or-
Does the 'seasoning' negate the roughness of the skillet bottom?

After getting the chain mail, i am having second thoughts on using it. Cant see how it wont harm the seasoning layer. I had gotten the ringe.

No chainmail for me.

http://www.castironcollector.com/maintenance.php

Sharp metal isn't advised during cooking. I'm not taking a risk after cooking and going metal to metal. Too much work building up the seasoning to risk it.

My post cooking cleaning is 1 or 2 steps. If there are "big" pieces, then I boil water and use a Pampered Chef scrapper. The next step is a little oil and kosher salt as Doug describes. After rinsing with warm water, dry it and put a little oil (about a quarter size) and wipe it off (inside and out).

If I'm satisfied with wiping it out after cooking, I will step 1 and maybe 2. Going directly to the drop of oil.

Back