Hello from Missouri

R_Harper

Hello all. It's great to finally become a member, have been browsing for a couple of weeks now.

I'm more of a CI user than a collector, as I have too many hobbies already. lol
(Meat Smokers, RC Planes, and I do Lawn Care on the side)

I only have a couple of pieces currently - a new Lodge 12" Skillet, a new Lodge 6-qt. Dutch Oven, and I picked up a vintage Lodge 3-notch #8 X for $12 at an antique booth the other day. A good scrubbing, a little sanding, scrub with Dawn dish liquid, and started re-seasoning with crisco - I think it will be a good one.

Anyway, it will be nice to meet you all and get to post on here.

Hello all. It's great to finally become a member, have been browsing for a couple of weeks now.

I'm more of a CI user than a collector, as I have too many hobbies already. lol
(Meat Smokers, RC Planes, and I do Lawn Care on the side)

I only have a couple of pieces currently - a new Lodge 12" Skillet, a new Lodge 6-qt. Dutch Oven, and I picked up a vintage Lodge 3-notch #8 X for $12 at an antique booth the other day. A good scrubbing, a little sanding, scrub with Dawn dish liquid, and started re-seasoning with crisco - I think it will be a good one.

Anyway, it will be nice to meet you all and get to post on here.

Try to stay away from sand paper on CI when possible. A #0000 steel wool will do most of the work for you and when used with Dawn it does an excellent job of cleaning before seasoning. If you have already used sand paper you will most likely see all the scratch marks it has left. Only good thing is you have used it on a replaceable skillet of lesser value. Lessons learned can be costly and regrettable in this hobby...I know...Been there done that.

Try to stay away from sand paper on CI when possible. A #0000 steel wool will do most of the work for you and when used with Dawn it does an excellent job of cleaning before seasoning. If you have already used sand paper you will most likely see all the scratch marks it has left. Only good thing is you have used it on a replaceable skillet of lesser value. Lessons learned can be costly and regrettable in this hobby...I know...Been there done that.

Thank You for the advice, Sir.

My main reasoning was to smooth out some of the rough texture in the new Lodge, but it's actually seasoning pretty well. It's not as non-stick as the old 3-notch Lodge, but it does seem to get better each time I use it.

That's what I get for watching certain YouTube videos. lol

Back