Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > General Cast Iron

Notices

General Cast Iron General Cast Iron Cookware Topics and Q&A

Old 10-26-2018, 07:23 PM
Site Admin

Default Re: Collecting Vs Using

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan_A View Post
Really wish I had held onto at least one dutch oven, though. Plans are to get a good enameled one, but I'm finding it hard to make a decision.
ATK (and I) really love Le Creuset, but they rate the Cuisinart a best buy at a fourth the price in its stead.

On topic, I use about 1% of my collection, which is roughly a half dozen pans chosen for specific tasks.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug D. View Post
ATK (and I) really love Le Creuset, but they rate the Cuisinart a best buy at a fourth the price in its stead.
Doug,

Thank you so much. This is extremely helpful. I was in the mindset of Lodge vs Le Creuset vs Milo. Never even realized Cuisinart has an enameled dutch oven, will look into it.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:26 PM

i have a Le Creuset that is at least 40 years old. All enameled Le Creuset are made in France. I'd be leery of a China-made one.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:31 PM

I’d like to reopen this discussion and see if there are any differences of preferences that weren’t given before.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:56 AM

Yes Joseph ill chime in. I collect users. That meaning If i can get one at a good price Ill buy it. Now I dont buy something just because it is there for sale unless it is a #8 that would make a nice giveaway skillet to someone who is interested in starting to use cast iron. I have given away 5 or 6 good "users" ie sulfur damaged griswalds, 3 notch lodges, one slightly warped wagner, ect. Most of the recipients went on to buy more iron. as I sit here in my chair I count 29 pieces of iron on the wall and sitting on the wood stove. I am currently in the process of replacing the less interesting ones (3 notch lodge, imports, and anything marked made in USA) with older more valuable pieces. We use them all except a #3 favorite that is cracked, a griswald ash tray (dont smoke), a #3 wagner (unbelievable how pitted it is), and a factory unseasoned lodge cornbread skillet. Mine are hung by ledger boards and the rims rest on the second layer of drywall behind the wood stove revealing their bottoms. They only leave a little oil on the wall if you get too heavy handed with it. It is an old picture now the bottom board is full as well. https://imgur.com/gallery/aBoujYT

Last edited by Greg Brunett; 01-19-2020 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Add pic link.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:59 PM

" a griswald ash tray (dont smoke)"

You can use it to make your own version of an egg mcmuffin. You need another pan though to flip it into.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:13 PM

Greg, that is a wonderful picture! I really enjoy seeing how others display their collection.

Well, I have so much cast iron that is merely......just sitting. It’s out in the garage with all of my Dutch ovens, just sitting there. I’m not getting any enjoyment out then whatsoever, and I enjoy cooking a great deal. Spoke to a dear friend today, my mother and she said, “well, what good are they doing you just sitting there? You’ll never sell them because you enjoy them far to much. Get your use out of them, and your children will remember that ‘meal’ you use to cook from this one or that one.” She a wise woman. So, over the next week I have a lot of cast iron to break out and start to use.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:24 PM

I've used about 80% of my pieces. The ones that haven't gotten used are primarily my enameled pieces. Over 140 pieces and counting.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:29 PM

I have a crusty rusted and pitted kettle that I doubt will ever get used, or even restored. I also have a monster sized skillet #20 that won't even fit on my stove top or in my oven that I have never used. It has been used as a oil drain pan for a car (yuck) by the previous owner. The rest of the stuff I have gets used.