Need Help With Making Waffles...

Dan B

I recently refurbished an old cast iron waffle iron. Stripped it clean and seasoned it three times. It turned out great.

However, first attempt at making waffles was a disaster. They stuck to the sides of the waffle iron pulling apart when I opened it up... a mess. I've since cleaned up the iron and was hoping for any tips on how to do better next time.

Many thanks!

Dan - congrats on the restore -- those things take a lot of time and effort.

When I encountered that same issue I found it was because the waffles were not cooked enough. When I let mine cook a little longer I was able to get them to release from the irons. They do not fall out; I use a fork to gently pry them but they do come out cleanly.

You will need to experiment a little to find the right heat level and cooking time, but the results will be worth it and once you figure out a procedure that works you won't look back.

Hi all,
I've tried cooking waffles twice with little success. The same problem of getting the waffle stuck and not releasing. I have a glass cooktop so I think getting the irons hot enough has been a part of the problem. The element does not physically touch the iron. To address this I've been preheating the base and all in the oven (which concerns me with the wooden handles...)

What do you use to grease the irons? Any other tips? I really want to use my piece but the thought of cleaning out burnt bits around all those corners has been outweighing the potential tastiness of waffles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been using mine for several years now and have had the same issue almost every time, on the first waffle. I think it is due to my own impatience. The succeeding waffle come out fine. Try letting the iron heat up for a little longer.

I tried Pam the first time and it stuck bad. Second try I used crisco brushed on heavy for the first waffle and it came right out and after a few more waffles I noticed it started talking a little more effort to release so I applied a tiny amount again.

It is also important that your batter contains a sufficient amount of fat. I found that the more fat, butter/oil, in the recipe the better my results. You may need to tweak or change your recipe all together.
Kyle

Success!

A bit more fat in the batter, more preheat time and letting them cook longer (no peeking) did the trick. The waffles pull out cleanly and indeed are delicious. I'm still in the trial phase, looking for the right combo of temperature and time to create consistently light waffles for my stove and waffle iron set up.... but, now heading in the right direction.

Many thanks for the encouragement and tips!

Way to be Dan! Glad it worked out. Those waffles are going to be the envy of everyone you know. Be careful, people start inviting themselves over on the weekends. Happy eating :glutton:

Back