Rey-O-Noc waffle iron

TyHiggins

Today I finally ran down to the much vaunted Jamesport, expecting to find nothing in my price range. Not at all, and one item in particular seems like a find. It's a HSB & Co. Rey-o-noc #8 waffle iron, pat'd Dec.1.1908, model number 885H. The base has 975A underneath by the handle and under that in small block letters is GRISWOLD. I got it for 10% off $34 so about $30, always happy to pay that for a nice iron (it's only malady is light surface rust). Was this a store brand, or something else?

Another question. I found an old large turks head muffin tray, gate marks, for $16. It was twice the size of another that was the same price, makes 12 instead of 6, would that be a good buy? I didn't get it, but it'd be a simple matter to have a local friend pick it up for me.

Other finds were a #8 Iron Mountain for $12, and a Martin #5 for the same, both in very good shape. It saddened me to leave a #9 3 notch Lodge, all I need to complete a set from #3 to #10, but the weight and casting made me begrudge the $17 price, it was clearly a later one. If it'd been a single notch I'd've gone for it.

Although it does look like a Y, it's actually a "REV-O-NOC", the name being an anagram of "Conover", the manager of Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & Co. of Chicago, IL.

Among the 12-cup open frame turk's head pans, I look for the Lodge, marked with a raised "20" on one handle, and no bottom gate marks, so I probably would pass on that one, but it's not a bad price.

It seemed a right fair price, but I have to watch my budget for a while. What would a store brand Griswold such as the Rav-o-noc fetch? I didn't find very many at all online, I did see some in the past that sold fairly cheap, perhaps due to seller ignorance. I would say condition is as good as it gets.

As it is a Griswold made iron, if in excellent condition, I'd say $75 or more. I passed on one several times at an area antique store, only to find it gone when I finally decided to try to get a good price on it.

Back