First Dutch Oven

Martin H

Found my first Dutch oven at a garage sale. In the process of cleaning it up for seasoning. I finally got around to building my first e tank also. It is an amazing piece of equipment and it ups the game cleaning up cast iron. So here is my deal. The Dutch oven has some rust. Not bad IMO. The Dutch oven itself is not enameled nor is the top of the lid but the underside looks to me like it is? I have seen where some say not to e tank enameled pieces what does the cast iron brain trust recommended? Note this will not be a display item but will be added to the cooking arsenal. I am ate up with this hobby. Right now I pick up everything I call a bargain. This oven I found for 25 bucks. Just finished three freebees and in that trio uncovered my first Piqua!
Special thanks to the ones that formed this place and the moderators. Lots still to learn and hope to be able to share what I learn with others on here,
Marty

Attachments

• thumbnail_0910191015 - Copy.jpg
    thumbnail_0910191015 - Copy.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 33
  • thumbnail_0910191015a - Copy.jpg
    thumbnail_0910191015a - Copy.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 35
  • thumbnail_0910191023 - Copy.jpg
    thumbnail_0910191023 - Copy.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 34
Since the rust is minimal, I would opt instead for a 50/50 vinegar/water bath, in a wide, shallow container that you can float the lid in. No risk to the enamel that way.

See: http://www.castironcollector.com/cleaning.php#vinegar

Seasoning the top of the lid just enough to polymerize one thin coat of oil is all that's necessary; don't do the 500° step some do, just to make sure you don't compromise the enamel.

Thanks Doug,
I do see where many run the temp way up when seasoning. I do as instructions on here say. Never had an issue. Have a real nice Griswold after 60 marked USA popover in oven right now after final seasoning ready to cool. Can hardly wait for the first batch of popovers.
Marty

Back