Any Way to Clean Lead?

BillC

As the title says, I'm looking for a way to remove lead from a cast iron pot.
Haven't tested, but all signs are it has a lead deposit on the interior. Lumps keep getting shinier on rubbing harder!
Anyway, don't need to cook in said pot, but would love to be able to remove the lead if that is what it is.
Open to any and all comments. Thank you for your input.

Maybe try heating it up enough to melt the lead, brush/scrape it out, and then follow that up with an electrolysis treatment?

Good luck with it.

I have a lead smelting pot and a few ingot molds that are cast iron. The lead should release from the sides fairly easily Shouldnt take more than a light tap to release it. It usually releases from rusty iron easier than smooth surfaces.

Thank you for the suggestions. Whatever is stuck on the bottom is extremely well attached. I've tried scraping, chipping and abrasive methods. Electrolysis didn't make any impact after 3 days. I guess I'll be heating it up to past the melting point of lead and see what happens.

Thank you for the suggestions. Whatever is stuck on the bottom is extremely well attached. I've tried scraping, chipping and abrasive methods. Electrolysis didn't make any impact after 3 days. I guess I'll be heating it up to past the melting point of lead and see what happens.

How much is in there? 600+ degrees is a lot for empty cast iron.

Thank you again for the suggestions. I was able to chip off most of the offending metal. Decided against getting it over 600 degrees to possibly melt it and am just going to live with it. Won't be using it in the kitchen however. Seasoning it hid the shine fairly well.

Back