#6 Griswold

This little pan has been in the self-cleaning oven twice now. The first time, I had it in for 1 hour, cleaned it with SOS pads, and Dawn, and seasoned it. The seasoning took great, and I went to put another layer on it. This time, it came out really spotty. I didn't know anything else to do but to put it back in the self-clean for 2 hours to try and remove the two layers of seasoning.

My dilemma is that after the self-cleaning for 2 hours, the pan is not orangish-brown, but is, instead, gray. It looks very nice, though there are some discoloring spots on the finish around the sidewall - can't seem to remove anything with the SOS pads.

Anyway, what is with the color of this skillet? Shouldn't it be a rust color?

The marking on the back is 699E.

~t

I have not been around here long, but I did pick up on this:

If you want to ruin a piece of CI put it through a self-cleaning oven cycle.

Hilditch

Probably not ruined, but shouldn't be a rust color, either. Ash on the surface from being incinerated by the high heat, maybe. Clean bare iron is gray. If there is no moisture, there is no rust, not red rust at least.

Well, I can't post pics because I don't have a camera, but I found a skillet through Google that is like it.

It's the pattern on the surface of the pan that I'm talking about. MY pan IS Black, however, and NOT like the rust-color of this skillet.

AGAIN, my question is about the seasoning pattern on the surface.

Attachments

• castiron.jpg
    castiron.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 54
That happened to me when apply oil before the skillet cools down.looks like you're doing the process too fast.Just take your time from the beginning and you'll see the difference.

The pan in the photo appears to have been oiled but not wiped down (or not nearly enough) before putting back in the oven to bake it on. If you do just as the seasoning page instructs: get the pan hot, wipe oil all over it, wipe it all off, put the pan back in the oven upside down, etc. you should have no problems.

It is true that I didn't let it cool down first, but that's because the article doesn't say to allow it to cool first.

Well, do I need to start over again? What should I do?

If your pan looks like the one in the photo, and in the interests of learning what works and what doesn't, I would say start over.

As the article instructs, the oil is applied and wiped off to leave only an extremely thin layer while the pan is very hot.

Anyway, what is with the color of this skillet? Shouldn't it be a rust color?
I am still curious as to why you earlier said you expected the pan to be rust colored after cleaning. The spots on the skillet in the photo are just dark brown over-cooked excess oil.

I am still curious as to why you earlier said you expected the pan to be rust colored after cleaning. The spots on the skillet in the photo are just dark brown over-cooked excess oil.

OK, the first skillet that I put in the oven on self-clean came out looking like the attached pic (which looks like rust to me, but it cleaned up nice). This is what I was expecting to see on this smaller one, but it came out gray instead. After washing that previous skillet (the one in the attached photo), I added the seasoning, and it is looking really nice (except for the crack in it) after one coating.

Attachments

• castiron2.jpg
    castiron2.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 41
OK, starting over, what should I do? At the present, there's only 2 coats on the pan. I don't have to do the oven on self-clean again, do I?

Most in your situation would use oven cleaner in a bag or a lye bath, both of which would be quicker in this instance, like about 15 minutes. The alternative to cleaning and starting over would be to just use it as it is and the additional seasoning from cooking in it will even it out over time.

Back