Stainless Steel E-tank Question

Scott.L

I have a pretty simple E-tank set up with a large plastic trashcan, two thin sheets of stainless steel and an older 2amp - 6amp charger. The tank runs pretty much 24/7 but lately i have notices the water is starting to have a green tint to it. Is this normal or do i need to stop using the stainless and clean and reset the tank ?

Thank you
Scott

I don't think the fact that your anodes are stainless is the reason you get a green tint in your electrolyte. I use lawnmower blades as my anodes (therefore not stainless steel) and get greenish crud on them all the time. When I scrape the crud off between pans to get better current flow, the electrolyte takes on a greenish tint for a while before going back to the normal rust color. I typically set my e-tank up twice a year and strip whatever rusty iron I've piled up since the last run. When I dump the electrolyte, all that green crud that settled at the bottom of the tank gets stirred up and makes it all turn greenish again.

If you have a lot of copper (connections to the anode and piece being cleaned) that are submersed into the solution there will be a greenish tint to the solution. This may or may not be your problem. I use small dia. SS wire to connect to the pieces being cleaned and a common 1/2" SS tubing secured above my tank. This way your lead connection from the battery charger can be connected to the common bar with the alligator clamp anywhere along the tubing. The piece being cleaned will dangle from the tubing by the SS wire and not a copper connection.
Hope all the above makes sense to you???

Back