shrimp paella with peas and roasted peppers

EricC

First post linking imgur so we'll see how it goes...

Part 1:

Some prep work:

Saute onion and garlic:

Add mushrooms and paprika (sweet and smoked), saute:

Add rice, saute:

Add chicken stock, white wine, and a bay leaf:

Part 2:

Cover and simmer until rice is cooked:

Stir in peas and diced roasted red pepper. Press down so it firmly contacts the bottom of the pan then cook it in increments over increasing heat, no stirring. The goal here is to develop a crust on the bottom:

While that's going on, saute paprika-seasoned shrimp separately:

Then mix in shrimp and break up the bottom crust, mixing it in, too:

And serve with lemon:

The desired crust should be golden brown; this was a little overdone but still tasty. Cooked in a #8 chicken fryer and the shrimp sautéed in a #8 pan, both BSR.

Eric C
I love paella but I've never tried to make it. Yours looks like something I could do.

Do you mind giving us the recipe - and by that I mean how much of each of the ingredients.

Thanks
Jack

Eric C
I love paella but I've never tried to make it. Yours looks like something I could do.

Do you mind giving us the recipe - and by that I mean how much of each of the ingredients.

Thanks
Jack
1 yellow onion
2 cloves garlic
8 oz cremini mushrooms
2 oz roasted red peppers
1 lemon
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp smoked paprika (all of sweet and 1/2 tsp smoked goes in with mushrooms, other 1/2 tsp smoked is for seasoning shrimp)
1 cup bomba rice
1/2 cup white wine
8 oz stock (chicken or vegetable, vegetable is the original recipe)
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup peas
8 oz shrimp
salt, pepper, olive oil

Do you need cooking times / temps?

EricC
Yes, time and temp information will cut down the number of bad experiments I would have to go through otherwise.

Thanks very much. I have shrimp in the freezer and look forward to trying this.

Jack

Onion and garlic in olive oil for 5 min over medium heat, or until softened. I usually add the garlic a little later than the onion to prevent it from burning.

Mushrooms and paprika for another 5 mins or until tender, same medium heat.

Rice for just a minute or two until coated and slightly toasted, same temp.

After liquids are added, increase heat to bring to boil then lower to a simmer and cover, simmer about 10 minutes.

After peas and red peppers added, cook uncovered for 5 mins over medium heat without stirring, then increase to medium-high for another 5 mins without stirring. This is where you really have to pay attention to prevent burning; since you can't stir it, use your nose, if it smells like the crust is starting to burn then take it off the heat and stir it up immediately.

Cooking the shrimp is very standard, just a minute or two on each side in olive oil over medium-high heat. Before you cook them season them with salt and pepper in addition to the paprika.

And, like with everything, at the end taste and adjust seasoning (salt & pepper) as needed.

Sorry this is so piecemeal but if you match it to the pics and descriptions in my first two posts that should add up to a recipe.

I'll be glad to answer any more questions you might have.

One question, please....where did you get those really nice potholders?

Amazon.com. I don't know if it's allowed to post a direct link to the item, but it can be found under the description "rustic leather hot handle holder".

They have a few leather ones like this from different sellers but I chose this particular one because of the double stitching and sheepskin lining.

I've used old-school fabric holders and newer silicone ones and both have been lacking. I've been quite pleased with the performance of these leather ones though I don't yet know how they'll hold up long-term over the years.

I’ve made my own leather ones and found that even at about 1/4” thickness they transfer heat faster than the Lodge fabric ones. The wool lining probably helps a lot.

Hilditch

Eric
I made your paella last night. It was a real hit with my son. Thanks for the recipe.

http://imgur.com/a/IAwUS

First pic is everything except the shrimp. Substituted mixed veggies for the peas because I was out of peas.
Second pic is with the shrimp. They looked a little bit lonely.
Third pic So I added about half a pound of speckled trout. Cubed and sauteed just like the shrimp.

Jack

Last edited:
I'm definitely going to make this!

Jack, I love the addition of the speckled trout. I have shrimp and speckled trout in my freezer. They will see some action this weekend!

Eric
I made your paella last night. It was a real hit with my son. Thanks for the recipe.

First pic is everything except the shrimp. Substituted mixed veggies for the peas because I was out of peas.
Third pic So I added about half a pound of speckled trout. Cubed and sauteed just like the shrimp.

Jack
I'm glad you liked it.

I can't see the pics right now, image hosting sites are blocked from where I am but I'll check them out this evening.

Yeah that's good, playing with the proteins and vegetables for variation. If you like calamari, that's another protein that goes well in paella.

Unfortunately, it no longer does. The powers that be in my state wanted Amazon to collect and remit sales tax on orders shipped here. Amazon side-stepped having to do that by terminating affiliates residing in the state, as they have done elsewhere when faced with the same prospect.

Eric, thank you for posting this it looks delicious. Jack, nice job, yours looks good also. It is OK to post the link to the potholder on Amazon. Is this the right one?
https://www.amazon.com/Panhandle-Po...8-1&keywords=rustic+leather+hot+handle+holder

I would also like to remind people, with Christmas coming soon that shopping on Amazon using the link through this forum doesn't cost you anymore but it does help CIC keep the lights on.
Yes, that's the right one. And thanks for the compliment.

Unfortunately, it no longer does. The powers that be in my state wanted Amazon to collect and remit sales tax on orders shipped here. Amazon side-stepped having to do that by terminating affiliates residing in the state, as they have done elsewhere when faced with the same prospect.

Darn it, all this time I thought I was redirecting a minuscule amount of money from Jeff Bezos rocket ship fund to help support CIC.

I don't mean to get all up in your business and I'm not trying to hijack the thread (move this if I am) but how do members help support the site? You surely deserve some compensation for your patience with folks like me. :)

Last edited:
Eric

Jack
Finally had a chance to check out the pics from an unblocked connection... good job.

How did the crust turn out?

Back