Enameled skillet ID?

ChadVKealey

I found this in the basement...I think it was a wedding gift (~15 years ago). The only marking is the name on the bottom, but the enamel is so thick, it's hard to tell for sure. I think it says "UNIQUE"?

I'm certain this is newer, foreign made stuff, but I can't find anything like it on the interwebs. With the design on the cooking surface, it seems more suited for wall-hanging or maybe serving? I'd bet if this were pre-heated, it would keep rolls or bread hot on the table through those long holiday means.

There's a Unique Kitchenware Co. out of China and the UK and Aus. My guess would be China but what do I know. I originally thought it could be from France since they are big in enamel ware products. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Hate to leave one hanging but I have no clue as to what it says. Last ditch effort is to try and transpose it on a piece of white paper using a lead pencil and rubbing it lightly back and forth. It's an old folks thing we use to do as kids but was effective to trace things.

Hate to leave one hanging but I have no clue as to what it says. Last ditch effort is to try and transpose it on a piece of white paper using a lead pencil and rubbing it lightly back and forth. It's an old folks thing we use to do as kids but was effective to trace things.

I'm 95% certain it says "UNIQUE" under there, but searching for "unique cast iron cookware" turns up thousands of images of interesting & odd pots & pans, but nothing like this one. I'm going with the other poster's suggestion of the Chinese brand.

While it certainly is unique and interesting to look at, I don't think it would cook so well with that fancy design on it. Maybe if we someday expand our kitchen and have room for wall-hangers, that's what'll become of it.

I think it would cook fine and make some fancy pancakes. I would use it. When you turned out a cake or some cornbread out of that pan it would look cool. It reminds me of a Nordic Ware cake pan.

Thanks, Russel and Kevin. It must have come from QVC as it was a gift from my MIL (who is on a first-name basis with most of their sales staff). In fact, this appears to be it (in a different color):
http://www.qvc.com/Technique-Enamel...e=2617611&ref=CJ1&cvosrc=affiliate.cj.5707978

As for cooking in it...I hadn't thought of pancakes, but that might work if the enamel surface is slick enough. It feels a bit rough, as if the enamel is really thin (they used it all up on the bottom of the pan :chuckle:), so I'm not sure how it'll work.

Back