Bsr 5 s

JMoss

I am a BSR fan and I recently found a BSR 5 S. The price was right so I bought it. A few days later I found what I thought was a recast of a #4 Wagner but it is marked 5 S on top of the handle. I had to have it.

I cleaned them both up to compare them and they are the same size pans. They nest very nicely, especially with the BSR on bottom. The BSR has a very visible ghost of the number 4. The other pan has no marking other than the 5 S on top of the handle. The BSR weighs 2 pounds 8 ounces and the recast (?) weighs 2 pounds 4 ounces. The published diameter of the 5 S is 7 inches. Does that correspond to a Wagner #4?

The smooth bottom and the triagnle where the handle meets the pan is what makes me think the recast was made from a Wagner. I would stop thinking about it right there if it didn't have 5 S on top of the handle.

Why would anyone recast a Wagner and number it like an odd ball BSR? I know this is nothing of great significance but I would like to hear your thoughts

http://imgur.com/a/BNpSu

Jack

I would take Wagner out of the equation and attribute the small triangular area to whoever did the casting, probably using a BSR as a basis for its pattern. Could even be an actual BSR. If they're the exact same dimensions, chances are it is.

Jack, I saw another 5S on cast iron chaos with the same ghost mark #4. I know I read somewhere a while back that BSR did make a smooth bottom skillet. I wish I could remember where I saw that.

Thanks Bonnie, but did anyone put size, or anything, else horizontal on the handle?

PS: I'm still looking for the 3 S, and the 7 S. If you see them up for sale somewhere please let me know.

Thanks

Jack
(or Jacl)

I sure will. I am going to have to take a look thru my 3's now and see if I have one. I didn't realize until this post that there was a difference between the red mountain and the red mountain S's.

If that ghost 4 makes me think about another maker, it would be Lodge not Wagner.

BSR 5S skillets are bringing good money this week. Have seen 2 on different fb pages bring $100 this week.

My 5S looks just like yours except mine has some pitting on the handle.

Wow! $100?? I had no idea. I paid $7.

I guess that means I'll have to find the #3 and 7 in the wild because I will not pay that kind of $$ for them.

Jack

I gave 25 for my 5S and thought that was a bit high. Now Im really glad I bought it. I found the 5S and a 3 notch #4 at the same booth for the same price. I held them both and thought about it for a while, just looking back and forth at each. I wanted them both but my wallet said that I had to chose one or the other.

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

Wow! $100?? I had no idea. I paid $7.

I guess that means I'll have to find the #3 and 7 in the wild because I will not pay that kind of $$ for them.

Jack

Hey Jack, you got any odd ball #3? Looking for marked Vollrath, Merit, Puritan, OB2 or other uncommon #3's. Ive got a couple 3S's.

I have a few unmarked odd balls but nothing with a name.

I'll keep an eye out for you but the picking around here is not too good. There is a shop near me that has a Wagner pie logo #3 for $15 but it is a spinner.

Jack

Hey Shawn,
I found my BSR 3 S yesterday at a flea market. $2, yep, two bucks and its in good condition. Yes you could say I was very happy.

Its in the e-tank now but I'll post pics when it's done. Still looking for the #7 S

Jack

Back