Anyone Recognize This Monkey Pan/Bowl?

Gloria O

Hey there,
I'm new here but am hoping someone will be able to help me identify this unique monkey cast iron pan/bowl my husband found. Measures 9" long x 6 1/2" wide and 1 1/2" deep. There is a small, square logo on the bottom but I cannot make anything of it.

I cannot find ANYTHING else like it ANYWHERE.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• CIMG9680.jpg
    CIMG9680.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 62
  • CIMG9681.jpg
    CIMG9681.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 49
  • CIMG9690.jpg
    CIMG9690.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 58
That mark on the bottom looks like a Asian character. Japanese most likely. You might try someone who could translate that mark for starters.

Hey there,
I'm new here but am hoping someone will be able to help me identify this unique monkey cast iron pan/bowl my husband found. Measures 9" long x 6 1/2" wide and 1 1/2" deep. There is a small, square logo on the bottom but I cannot make anything of it.

I cannot find ANYTHING else like it ANYWHERE.

Thanks for looking!

I think for Chinese people 2015 is the monkey year,every year they celebrate a different animal year,like rat year,kangaroo year,etc.

I don't think this is stylized enough to be from the far East. My guess is that this is a serving dish from India +/- 500 miles leaning toward the near East. From the land of finger food.

Hilditch

Hmmm, interesting. Ok, thanks for the reply and for looking!

---------- Post added at 08:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 AM ----------

Hmm, the suggestions are definitely avenues I haven't even thought to think about. Thanks so much!

Hi, Gloria, I hope you can find out some more about the monkey bowl--it is really an interesting item. I agree with Hilditch, in that I think the design looks more Indian than Chinese. There is a monkey god in India, although my elderly mind is failing with the name--Hanu, perhaps? At any event, you have a very interesting piece of CI there--give the hubby a big hug for that one!

Back