Old Gem Pan

Jason_R

I found this old gem pan Friday in my parents basement. My dad thinks it came from a guy he knew years ago that lived in a 2 room shack in the Ozarks. No markings on it except the two "lines" on the bottom. Its very thick iron and heavy as well. Im pretty excited to get this and get it cleaned up but sure wish I knew more about it such as age and a maker!

Attachments

• IMG_5154.jpg
    IMG_5154.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5156.jpg
    IMG_5156.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 35
the 'lines' are gate marks...indicators of an older style of pouring iron into molds... later casting utilizes 'side gates' where the iron flows in from a wide area along the edge of the item (rather than through a rather big slit in the bottom).. .the side gates are ground off even with the edge so they are less noticeable.
This style, known as a turks head pan is a fairly common style of 'gem pan'. these were made by a lot of different foundries over many years... so the shape of the handles and whether or not the pan is 'open' or 'closed' might be the only helpful characteristics for identification (and even then its not likely to be fully id'd)

The older casting method generally places it pre 1890's, but many still made pieces this way until the early 20th century.

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------

This is also considered a closed frame gem pan.

Back