CHF Deep Hammered Dutch Oven

D_Madden

got this at an auction this weekend... before and after pics (also pics from a couple of months ago when I found a similar skillet and then lid (turns out the lids are the same). As usual there are stories associated with my purchases... auction was long... it was one of those places that has an auction one night every week... lots of odd lots... this one was an hour and half away and I saw the rusty dutch oven in pics... none of the inside... got to the auction at the start time... and waited for almost 3 hours for them to get to the one lot that 5-6 pieces of cast iron... they were selling jewelry one piece at a time, watches one at a time, pocket knives... one at a time... fishing poles... one at a time... aaaarrrrgggghhhhh.... they got to the iron eventually, got the griswold fruit and lard press... working on that one... then did the hammered dutch oven... auctioneer starts at $50, no bids, $40, no bids... gets down to $20 and I start to raise my hand, I don't think he saw me because he got to $10, notices me and registers my bid as $10... and no one else bid against me... so he had the lid off at one point to show the inside of the lid and DO, and doesn't put it on all the way... ends the bidding, hands it to his assistant to carry over to a table about 25 ft away... he holds it by the bail, takes about 2 steps and the dutch oven pivots and the lid clangs to the bare concrete floor... fortunately no damage... but I was worried... still can't believe no one else bid on it... they must have never seen one of these cleaned up before.

https://imgur.com/a/IuumtnY

https://imgur.com/a/fHcfeb2

I’m pretty sure you got your $10 dollars worth :chuckle:

Very nice pick up OP, I would like to find one like that myself. I’ve been looking but not lucky yet.

That is so nice! I love hammered pieces but never seem to come across them here in OH. Must not be looking hard enough. LOL

That is so nice! I love hammered pieces but never seem to come across them here in OH. Must not be looking hard enough. LOL

Hum I've never seen any here in OH either lol.... I'm sure they are there but just gotta keep looking lol. That thing cleaned up very nice! Great find!!!!

Back