Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cooking In Cast Iron

Notices

Cooking In Cast Iron Discuss Cast Iron Cooking & Recipe Requests

Old 10-01-2016, 05:28 AM

Default Chili and CI

Well, it is getting that time of year for me, the leaves are falling, temperatures are dropping, and the AC is officially turned off for the year. And one of my favorite things, that just seems to be a tradition is I start to make chili. I don't know why, but it doesn't get eaten in the summer lol.

Well, I know people have reservations about cooking anything with a lot of tomato in CI. But I was strongly considering cooking my chili in my DO's this year. Tomato juice and paste are used, a lot of hamburger as well.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Tips? Criticisms?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2016, 07:15 AM

Default Re: Chili and CI

I think it depends on how well-seasoned your DO is. You may consider making about a half recipe the first time in your DO, just to learn if there's an issue.

I prefer green chili (no tomatoes, no beans), and have made it in my DO. Had a surprisingly iron taste, so now it's made in the Calphalon. I think the DO is well seasoned, which may shoot my initial theory in the foot.

Go ahead and make your chili in the iron, the worst that can happen is you get a batch which isn't quite what you were looking for. Once it's done cooking, take it out of the CI immediately - that may have been the biggest mistake I made. It won't be chili weather here for at least a month, maybe longer....

Steve
Old 10-01-2016, 08:11 AM

You could always use one of those slow cooker liners. Great for clean-up, too.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:02 AM

I use my unmarked Wagner DO to make chili, and my hubby likes to make it in a #9 or #10 skillet. We haven't had a problem with this vis-a-vis the tomato, but we always start by cooking onion in grape seed or olive oil, then adding the ground beef. I also make it a point to get the finished chili out of the CI as soon as it is done. We may have just been lucky with this technique, but it seems to be working. (My pans don't have a lot of seasoning, as I scrub them too much for it to build up.--Sorry Hilditch; it's a vice, I know.)
Old 10-01-2016, 11:43 AM

Well, I brown my meat, add my onions, add tomato juice, tomato paste, then all of my seasoning and let it simmer for a couple of hours. With beef being the price that it is I certainly don't want to waste the money and end up with chili tasting like iron
Old 10-01-2016, 01:11 PM

I for one make chili all the time In CI with no problems.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:13 PM

To me a well seasoned DO means the iron is covered in a hard coat of seasoning due to it being used as a frying pan occasionally and is not a stranger to popcorn.

Joseph, I use the same sequence with at least 20% fat in a well seasoned DO. All cooking done in the DO with 2 lbs of ground beef for 3 qts of chili. Testing the complete batch with litmus paper it surprised me with a 6 and included paste, puree & whole. A six is neutral, not acidic. A 5 would even be OK. YMMV.

When done, all comes out of the DO while still hot and it gets washed. No iron flavor* and no damage to the seasoning. Only your nose can tell it just made good chili.

Hilditch

* If you scrubbed all the seasoning off, like some here, your chicken stew may taste like iron.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:02 PM

Well I sure don't scrub, I merely take, while very very warm, a bristle brush and lightly scrub under scalding hot water, place in the oven at 200 degrees for fifteen minutes, spread a light coat of oil, and then wipe it off with a cloth and let it cook.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. Hilditch View Post
A six is neutral, not acidic.
Actually 7 is neutral. Anything below 7 is acidic. I am thinking what you meant to say was that 6 is within the normal range (6-8) that you would find in drinking water.

I am also surprised that you are getting a reading of 6 as I would have expected it to be lower.

Mike
Old 10-02-2016, 11:34 AM
Site Admin

For reference. In parentheses are the concentrations of hydrogen ions relative to deionized water. Note that it is exponential, not linear.

pH
7 Pure (deionized) water (0)
6 Milk (10)
5 Black coffee (100)
4 Tomato juice (1,000)
3 Orange juice (10,000)
2 Lemon juice, vinegar (100,000)
1 Stomach (hydrochloric) acid (1,000,000)
0 Battery acid (10,000,000)