Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cooking In Cast Iron

Notices

Cooking In Cast Iron Discuss Cast Iron Cooking & Recipe Requests

Old 01-20-2016, 07:59 PM

Default Cooking Tools

Kevin posted a thread regarding our top 4 users for cast iron which I thought was great. It got me wondering if "we cast iron nuts" also revert to the same tools our parents and grand parents used for our present day cooking?
I can only speak for myself but I use on a daily basis a lot of the primitive cookware utensils my mother left behind and find them superior to the modern day utensils offered by a majority of the department stores. It would be entertaining to see what we all are using so I have attached a single pic of my favorites and the egg turner gets a workout on a daily basis for just about everything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1200211 - Copy.jpg (33.7 KB, 114 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2016, 08:16 PM

Default Re: Cooking Tools

Fish spatula is required in much of my cast iron cooking and frankly with other pans etc. old wooden spoons when necessary. No plastic thanks
Old 01-21-2016, 12:21 AM

These aren't real old, but most have about 60+ years on them:

The SS is Flint Arrowhead. I love that stuff and have more serving pieces as well as the Vanadium steak knives.

Hilditch
Old 01-21-2016, 02:57 PM

Location: Residing in the calm sunshine of Santa Cruz, California

I've started collecting old stainless spatulas and utensils, having a wide variety of tools at your disposal is fun and makes every task easier. Another important thing to remember if you are trying to get someone interested in using cast iron, or if you give a skillet to a friend, make sure you give them a good metal spatula to use with it, makes a world of difference!
I'll get a picture up of my growing utensil collection once I finalize the display caddie.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:12 PM

Location: Upstate SC at the base of the Blue Ridge mountains.

I also have many old utensils that have been passed down in the family like my grandmothers hand crank egg beater, several good steel knives and a good "flipper". I also use several wood spoons tho they are not really old.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:30 AM

MD, I wondered, came back to check and am still wondering. Please explain the center tool in the pic. You got me on that one.

Hilditch
Old 01-24-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. Hilditch View Post
MD, I wondered, came back to check and am still wondering. Please explain the center tool in the pic. You got me on that one.

Hilditch
It was a basting brush that mom used for her corn stick pans. Don't know for a fact that it was purchased as such from the store's but in those days they made due with what worked best. The wooden handle made it look old to me and it was in her kitchen stuff that I was able to salvage after her passing. My step dad gave away a lot of her stuff before I was able to get what I got.

By the way....I saw several other pieces of your Flint Arrowhead listed on Etsy so if you're wanting to expand your collection you may want to check them out.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:00 PM

Thanks. They do have a lot. I've all I can use. I find it interesting that Ekco made quality stuff once upon a time before the MBA's and accountants took over.

Hilditch
Old 01-25-2016, 03:59 AM

Most of my vintage cooking tools hang on the walls next to my CI collection. Its great decoration and can be easily taken down, washed, used, washed and rehung.
I did find myself needing a larger stirring spoon for my 14" deep stainless steel pot. I looked everywhere and didn't find one that worked so I made my own. Its 19" long so it won't fall into the pot. Although I designed it to fit in a drawer, it is proudly hung on the wall as well.
Tony
Old 01-25-2016, 01:38 PM

Good for you Tony. If you can't find it, make it if you can. If you happen to break it during an attitude adjustment check out roux paddles.

Hilditch