Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cooking In Cast Iron

Notices

Cooking In Cast Iron Discuss Cast Iron Cooking & Recipe Requests

Old 01-06-2016, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Keep it low

From a June 4, 2015 post on Cast Iron Seasoning:

"IMPORTANT! Verify your ovens temps. It's reported that they can vary as much as 75 from the setting by a service tech. Not abnormal in newer ovens. Set at 475 mine cycles between 450 and 485. Few are this exact. Over 500 is the danger zone."

Hilditch
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2016, 12:58 PM

Mine went from 350 to about 390 when set at 375, after the initial horror. Im glad I start at 250 when seasoning. That thing might get to 700 if set at 450
Old 01-07-2016, 08:18 PM

In reference to post #7, one must multiply the input watts by the conversion efficiency which can be as low as .1 to get output watts before multiplying for BTUs. Without the conversion efficiency factor watts mean nothing for heat or power. Also remember that watt figures are the maximum number for any one burner, not the minimum. Of course, companies do not publish conversion efficiency factors or you would have a way to compare apples to apples.

Hilditch
Old 01-08-2016, 06:22 PM

Location: Residing in the calm sunshine of Santa Cruz, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. Hilditch View Post
Hilditch

PS: Bet you can't flip the whole thing.
Challenge accepted.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:28 PM

Convection or convection bake setting will give you better constant temps.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:03 AM

Gee, you guys are all so high tech! I'm cooking on a well worn gas range, ca. 1938, I think, and the technique is: light the burner, adjust the flame, and keep a close eye on it. Well, it works most of the time!
Old 01-09-2016, 01:49 PM

Location: Residing in the calm sunshine of Santa Cruz, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Shuman View Post
Gee, you guys are all so high tech! I'm cooking on a well worn gas range, ca. 1938, I think, and the technique is: light the burner, adjust the flame, and keep a close eye on it. Well, it works most of the time!
In my opinion the gas burners on 1930's range tops were more high tech than current offerings. My old O'keefe & Merritt had a more precise burners, all with inner and outer rings that delivered even heat over a wide range of temps. New stoves have crude burners with only one of them having inner and outer rings if your lucky. The ovens that are attached to them are infinitely better in just about every way though, so it's a trade off.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:49 PM

Not necessarily more high tech, just better thought out. Someone with expertise in fluid dynamics took the time to ensure optimal fuel flow across the whole operating range of the burner. The burners on my modern (and not cheap) gas stove get pretty turbulent when you crank 'em up. They get noisy and the flames get real fuzzy looking. I've seen cheap burners that can't hold a consistent flame across the whole burner when set to low/simmer. Sections of it peter out and then reignite for no apparent reason. My best guess is that the pressure and exit velocity are so low the gas disperses with ambient air before it leaves the nozzle. The old school burners I've seen don't do any of that. The last two stoves I've owned have/had difficulty igniting the largest burner. I keep a campfire lighter within reach because of that. They just don't make 'em like they used to.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty L. View Post
Not necessarily more high tech, just better thought out. Someone with expertise in fluid dynamics took the time to ensure optimal fuel flow across the whole operating range of the burner. The burners on my modern (and not cheap) gas stove get pretty turbulent when you crank 'em up. They get noisy and the flames get real fuzzy looking. I've seen cheap burners that can't hold a consistent flame across the whole burner when set to low/simmer. Sections of it peter out and then reignite for no apparent reason. My best guess is that the pressure and exit velocity are so low the gas disperses with ambient air before it leaves the nozzle. The old school burners I've seen don't do any of that. The last two stoves I've owned have/had difficulty igniting the largest burner. I keep a campfire lighter within reach because of that. They just don't make 'em like they used to.
Possibly a supply issue?
Old 01-16-2016, 07:06 PM

Location: Upstate SC at the base of the Blue Ridge mountains.

Holy cow, you guys are hi tec. When I need my pan hotter I just open the door at the bottom of the stove and add more wood.