Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cooking In Cast Iron

Notices

Cooking In Cast Iron Discuss Cast Iron Cooking & Recipe Requests

Old 11-11-2015, 12:40 PM

Default Real Cooks

I think it's time for a fun thread(not that any threads aren't fun). More like a just for fun thread.

When was it that you realized that you're a real cook? That "slap your forehead" moment. It can sneak up on some of us when we least expect it. It happened to me this morning, and I thought I'd share it, but in a slightly different way.In other words, I'm looking for that Jeff Foxworthy type of statement like "You might be a real cook if....".

I'm scanning the intarwebs for a bread recipe I haven't tried yet, and found one. It called for all purpose flour. I usually use bread flour in my breads, but I'll give it a try. In digging out that flour from the back of the shelf, I realize I actually have 4 different types of flour Bread flour, all purpose, whole wheat(for a recipe I haven't done yet), and that flour Da Wife uses for when she makes gravy. So mine would be.....

You might be a real cook if you have 4 kinds of flour.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2015, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Real Cooks

This is tough. I've thought of 30 responses but they are dead on true so not very funny. Like this: You might be a cook if 1 out of every 5 meals you cook are a disappointment to you. Here's my best shot as of now.

You might be a cook if you only have four types of flour in your cupboard.

You might be a cook if your mama sayís you are a better cook than she is while still in her 40's.

Hilditch
Old 11-11-2015, 04:55 PM

I wasn't necessarily looking for humor. And as disappointment goes, I've had more than my fair share. I got hooked on homemade bread with a bread machine and store bought mixes, but soon tired of the shape of the loaf that one of those things makes. So I started doing the dough only mode, and finish in a glass bread pan. I finally wore out the machine, and had just gotten a stand mixer, so I decided to do it from scratch. After a dozen or so "disappointments", I finally found what the problem was. A simple 1/8 of a cup of water. The recipes I was using all either said 1 cup, or 1 1/2 cup of water. The final recipe that said 1 1/8 cup water was perfect, and have been using it ever since.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan D View Post
I wasn't necessarily looking for humor. And as disappointment goes, I've had more than my fair share. I got hooked on homemade bread with a bread machine and store bought mixes, but soon tired of the shape of the loaf that one of those things makes. So I started doing the dough only mode, and finish in a glass bread pan. I finally wore out the machine, and had just gotten a stand mixer, so I decided to do it from scratch. After a dozen or so "disappointments", I finally found what the problem was. A simple 1/8 of a cup of water. The recipes I was using all either said 1 cup, or 1 1/2 cup of water. The final recipe that said 1 1/8 cup water was perfect, and have been using it ever since.
I'm very early in the process of learning to make breads, but this reminds of something I read recently. It said that you may have to change the amount of water you use in bread dough depending on the time of year. If you live somewhere that has seasonal fluctuations in humidity, then you need to use a little more water in the dry months and a little less in the humid months.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:23 PM

I havenít received my degree as a cook, but Iíve got Aís in a few courses. Like recreating my grandmothers bread with no recipe after 50 years. The look, the crust, the crumb and the flavor after only 10 tries. So then I went for the 50 yo Italian bakery bread. Only 4 ingredients and about 20 tries later I got it right in all four categories. One needs to know the right feel of the dough for cookies, quick breads, different yeast breads and different batters from experience.

For more short term successes, I turn to meats cooked in or on CI. Every time I cut into a $50 or $100 piece of meat, the juices run out and it is not overcooked; I pat myself on the back. I enjoy the visual moment while acknowledging my control of the CI and the cooking process verses what someone else might have done. Only about a 100 more courses to go and then Iíll be a real cook. Another try at the perfect turkey is coming up.

Hilditch
Old 11-11-2015, 07:39 PM

A person cannot call him or herself a cook. Only through your efforts will someone else see your talent.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:46 PM

I live in the Washington D.C. area, and get all 4 seasons. But I've not experienced any affect on the bread due to a difference in humidity. I've heard the same type of thing, but for altitude.

Hilditch, just before you posted that thread on your Delmonico, I found Cast Iron Chaos, and tried his method for steak on CI. I was impressed. Normally, I'm a grill guy, but my grill of late needs parts. I will be doing that again. But more important, have you ever posted those bread recipes here? I wouldn't mind trying them.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:56 PM

No. Not the place. PM me with your email address and I'll share. One at a time until feedback.

Hilditch
Old 11-11-2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan D View Post
I live in the Washington D.C. area, and get all 4 seasons. But I've not experienced any affect on the bread due to a difference in humidity. I've heard the same type of thing, but for altitude.

Hilditch, just before you posted that thread on your Delmonico, I found Cast Iron Chaos, and tried his method for steak on CI. I was impressed. Normally, I'm a grill guy, but my grill of late needs parts. I will be doing that again. But more important, have you ever posted those bread recipes here? I wouldn't mind trying them.
If you are referring to his mention of reverse searing of steaks, I can concur! You can also finish a seared steak in the oven after searing with almost the same results, but by warming it up in the oven ahead of time, you are also drying the surface prior to searing, and that's a Very Good Thing.

I also pre-salt my steak, at least 45 minutes ahead of time. That gives time for the salt to pull moisture out, dissolved the salt, then pull it back in. I think that one may have been thanks to Alton Brown.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:14 PM

"Reverse searing" wasn't mentioned per se, but here's the link;

http://www.modemac.com/cgi-bin/wiki....ium_Rare_Steak

It did involve finishing in the oven.