Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cooking In Cast Iron

Notices

Cooking In Cast Iron Discuss Cast Iron Cooking & Recipe Requests

Old 10-23-2015, 12:14 PM

Default Fry bread

I have been trying to remember why I bought my first cast iron skillet and I finally remembered. A long time ago my neighbor taught me how to make Fry Bread and she said I had to have a heavy skillet to make it. I really like Fry Bread with powdered sugar sprinkled on top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7re_zwU6O64
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2015, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Fry bread

Bonnie, thanks for sharing this. In the video, what gets to me is the lady on her knees, outside on the ground, while wearing a white skirt! This information is another example of the fascinating info. about the world which is available if you know where and how to look. (Am deciding whether to try some version of fry bread--but I don't think my culinary skills are up to it, to say nothing of my ethnic heritage!)
Old 10-23-2015, 04:21 PM

Flour (I use Blue Bird Flour)
* Vegetable Oil (For Frying)
* Baking Powder (I use Clabber Girl Brand)
* Warm water
* let dough set for 15 to 20 mins when done.

Important info:
- Measurements are up to you but for every cup of flour makes 2 breads and also for every cup of flour you use make sure you use 1 tablespoon of baking powder for every cup of flour it's that simple as for water just add slowly til the right consistency the dough should be soft when done.

From the video......
Old 10-23-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCameron View Post
Flour (I use Blue Bird Flour)
* Vegetable Oil (For Frying)
* Baking Powder (I use Clabber Girl Brand)
* Warm water
* let dough set for 15 to 20 mins when done.

Important info:
- Measurements are up to you but for every cup of flour makes 2 breads and also for every cup of flour you use make sure you use 1 tablespoon of baking powder for every cup of flour it's that simple as for water just add slowly til the right consistency the dough should be soft when done.

From the video......
Another recipe, and a poignant history of fry bread: http://whatscookingamerica.net/Histo...joFryBread.htm

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------[/SIZE]

Here are a number fry bread recipes, attributed to the various tribes/regions

http://www.manataka.org/page180.html
Old 10-23-2015, 10:12 PM

(later, that same evening...)

Well, I tried, and mostly failed. But to be honest, it was just a quick & dirty attempt. I didn't measure a thing. Some flour, some salt, and some baking powder (probably too old... need to get a fresh tin) and some water (going on vacation tomorrow, no milk in the fridge, and who has powdered milk these days?).

Didn't get the dough thin enough, I think, and that, combined with my half-hearted baking powder made something that was lighter and crisper than my bannock, but not at all like the fry bread that I know. Still ate it all, though!
Old 10-23-2015, 10:21 PM

I am impressed that you gave it a try. I have powdered milk. I also make homemade hot chocolate powder and powdered milk is one of the ingredients. Maybe when you get back from your trip to Lodge country you can try it again with all the right stuff. They are really good stuffed with taco fixings also.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Scott View Post
I am impressed that you gave it a try. I have powdered milk. I also make homemade hot chocolate powder and powdered milk is one of the ingredients. Maybe when you get back from your trip to Lodge country you can try it again with all the right stuff. They are really good stuffed with taco fixings also.
Oh, I know that its good stuff! Used to be a weekly flea market when I lived in New Mexico, and there was always one stand where the Navajos would fix fry bread and mutton stew (I was too tame in my tastes back then to try the stew). And Cheyenne Crossing in Spearfish Canyon in the Black Hills has the best Indian tacos I've had.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Scott View Post
The fry bread I ate my college prof made during a cram session for certification tests. It was sweet like a donut almost. She is party Native American so I thought it was all sweet. The stuff I had wouldn't have made good tacos.

Dan, I'm trying not to pee my pants here. I always thought "Indian taco" was from India. I'm just as bad as ole Chris.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:38 PM

Extra comment on this thread: Try reading Tony Hillerman's "Navajo" novels--local color in abundance, and great plots (IMSHO)! He mentions "Navajo tacos" and I have been wondering for years what they consisted of!
Old 10-25-2015, 04:09 PM

Sharon, I just got finished reading his "Dance Hall of the Dead" novel. Good read.