Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cooking In Cast Iron

Notices

Cooking In Cast Iron Discuss Cast Iron Cooking & Recipe Requests

Old 04-12-2015, 12:49 AM

Default Real Corn Bread

The cooks out there might want to try this one. It's a "9".

Earnest Parker of Gilmer County, GA who was born about 1900 gives his corn bread recipe:

“First you sift the cornmeal to get the bran out of it, then you break it up with buttermilk or plain water and put salt and soda in it, along with an egg and some lard, and put it in the oven and bake it, or in the fire place if not in the stove. When you finish, you’ll have somethin’ good to eat, I’ll tell you . . . that corn bread!”

Hilditch
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2015, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Real Corn Bread

Might you have quantities for the ingredients?
Old 04-19-2015, 09:20 PM

No Jennifer, the success of this recipe depends on feel for how much of what goes in and the cook's ability to judge the correct amounts to give the desired result. Some experimentation and changes may be in order to get exactly what you want. Like making yourself a bowl of cereal or a sandwich.

Actually Mr. Parker provided us with some of the most important part of any recipe, technique. The rest is up to us.

Hilditch
Old 04-24-2015, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. Hilditch View Post
No Jennifer, the success of this recipe depends on feel for how much of what goes in and the cook's ability to judge the correct amounts to give the desired result. Some experimentation and changes may be in order to get exactly what you want. Like making yourself a bowl of cereal or a sandwich.
What?!!!!! Come on.. You tease us, then just give a list of ingredients and tell us to figure it out. That's like giving someone a 20 piece puzzle with 10 pieces missing.

So just tell us what YOU have figured out that works?

Sifting the bran out of cornmeal? My cornmeal just comes with cornmeal. I make butter, so I have buttermilk, I have salt, Lard.. Will Crisco work?
Old 04-24-2015, 08:16 AM

Get a bag of House Autry or White Lily Self Rising Cornmeal Mix. Follow the recipe on the bag.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:18 PM

Old recipes are vague like this one. They also use old terms like water ground corn meal or sweet milk. Plus ingredients we no longer use like clabbered milk. I guess is it was pointless to specify temperature and time. Due to the lack of thermometers on most ranges and no clock in the kitchen. It bothers me when it doesn't specify the measurements, though.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:59 AM

OK RickC, here you go. My late response is due to my yearly vacation from the computer in the Keys. I grind my own corn and then follow the recipe. It turns out best when I measure nothing, but use what looks right. Sometimes I bake it in my cast iron stove oven which does not have a temperature gauge but needs to be hot until it is done in an 8” skillet or the BSR corn bread pan. No Jiffy, no Quaker, no Crisco, no wheat flour, no BS. This is what works for me.

“I meant what I said and I s……..” This is for “the cooks out there”.

Hilditch
Old 05-23-2015, 06:11 PM

My Father, now passed, once told me that corn bread should be made with white corn meal only as white corn was for people and yellow corn was for animals. So once he was over to our house for a visit and wanted corn bread for dinner. We were out of white corn meal. So we put about a cup of white popcorn in our electric coffee grinder and let it grind, The corn bread was absolutely wonderful. David.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:02 AM

Yup. Your Father and you have it right. I grind popcorn too. The egg yoke is for the color.

Hilditch
Old 06-27-2015, 07:27 PM

I went to a group fishing tournament/ meet, greet and eat gathering several years ago. An older guy brought a couple pans of corn bread which included vidalia onions and yellow squash. Let me tell you, it was some kind of awsome! When I got the recipe, it was a handful of this, a pinch of that and so on until it looked right. Well I turned my wife loose on it. After several tries, she has it down pat. Dang, I can taste it just thinking about it.