Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Show & Tell

Notices

Show & Tell Share Your Cast Iron Cookware Finds and Restorations

Old 05-18-2019, 02:31 PM

Default John Saveryís DO

Iíve posted about this DO before. Looks like I own it now, the booth owner was reasonable . I donít know if it will be usable or not, but it looks like Iím building an electrolysis tank.

Did these ever have a bail/handle?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2019, 10:38 PM

Default Re: John Saveryís DO

I recognize that piece... can't wait to see it all cleaned up and seasoned.

no idea on the bail... I wouldn't think you would want one that allows the bottom to pivot... especially with coals on top... I would think not.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:11 AM

Well at least you have the lid. I bought one when I first started collecting that was in rough shape and I paid too much. I later bought another one that also was in rough shape but got it cheap. As you can see from my pictures, they both have heavy wrought iron handles. The larger ovenís handle folds down enough a lid could have been used. The smaller ones handle doesnít fold down but arches out at an angle and a lid could also have been used on it.https://imgur.com/gallery/vVb2hrx
Old 05-20-2019, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the pictures, I personally like bails on my outdoor ovens.

I put together a quick E tank, itís fizzing away! I donít have time right now to put together a nicer looking tank. Picked up the ďsuper washing sodaĒ the other day and today I just used stuff I had laying around. about 15min later it was going. After a few minutes I canít see in the water anymore and have a bunch of surface gunk. Must be working 🤞

Old 05-20-2019, 10:46 PM

yeah it's working... but more anode would be good... and bigger surface area than the rebar... more surface is good.
(is there wire running around the outside connecting the rebar?)
Old 05-21-2019, 12:00 AM

Yes they are connected with 10ga solid.

Yeah I would like to use some plate, only stuff I have is 1” .. seemed excessive ��
Old 05-21-2019, 02:11 PM

solid is good... I've had issues in the past with stranded wire and heat (I assume resistance) and bad connections... who has 1 inch plate steel just laying around? yeah that might be a bit overkill... I found some graphite sheet on ebay a couple of years ago and have been using a couple pieces ever since... not huge pieces but sufficient for most things.... and it avoids all the issues of gunk buildup on the anodes and losing efficiency until they are cleaned off.

also, I know its kind of pricey and might be a pain just because of the size of this piece... but I've used evaporust on some pieces and it does a really good job (might be easier to submerge the lid than the whole bottom).. the trick seems to be in getting a container very close to the size and shape of the item you are working on so there isn't a lot of empty space ( that has to then be filled up with evaporust)... I mean you can reuse the evaporust several times... so you can just pour it back into the jug.. so it isn't wasted or anything... just unnecessary.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:34 PM

I was a welder for about 10 years, still do a little fab work so I usually have a good supply of steel around, but the 1” is all I had at the time.

Anyway it’s done , that took some time.. definitely should have took the time and built a more efficient tank but it did it’s job eventually!

It’s pretty pitted but the only hole clear through is in the top of the lid and it actually looks like a casting flaw that’s always been there, it’s just a pin hole and will probably fill in.

Here it is along with an elder vintage 3 notch CF and #5 RM. the CF appears to be NOS, just a little rust on the factory grinding marks that cleaned off quickly in the etank . They all turned out very nice. I’ll probably attempt to make a bail sometime for the DO.

Thanks for all the tips!

Last edited by SteveB; 06-01-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:04 PM

That cleaned up nice!
Old 06-10-2019, 02:26 PM

given the age of that thing I don't think the pitting would bother me much at all... turned out really nice. much better than the sad neglected rusty before pics!