Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cooking In Cast Iron

Notices

Cooking In Cast Iron Discuss Cast Iron Cooking & Recipe Requests

Old 01-25-2018, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Aebleskivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyL View Post
Here ya go BillC, this should help ya decide to get a pan!

https://imgur.com/a/Uy2v6
I haven't been chatty enough on the boards to send a PM yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyL
Any chance you would share your aebleskiver recipe?
It's actually on my blog. So sorry I didn't see your PM sooner. I didn't get a notification

My recipes are on my blog along with follow along photos

http://dunrovinstation.blogspot.com/...of-danish.html
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarylB View Post
I make a ridiculous number of them. The trick is to have your filling ready to go and that your pan is not only well seasoned, but also buttered for each set of balls.

Jelly fillings i make ahead with a teeny disher scoop and freeze tiny balls of jelly to drop in. For chocolate, i use the larger chunk pieces.

After filling your cups about 3/4 full, drop in your filling and top with more batter and continue cooking. On the first partial turn, the filling, encapsulated in batter, moves with the batter.

On the third and final turn it is sealed in. Never had a leak. Wipes clean.
How long do you cook them on each side? I've not had any luck so far with the two batches that I have made. I notice that you turn them 90 degrees at a time. I read to turn them 180 degrees. They must be wrong because they were never cooked thoroughly. I will try your recipe hopefully this weekend.

Everyone, FYI, use chopsticks if you have them. They work wonderfully in turning the aebleskivers.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:58 PM

I don't really time them. If they are too gooey to slide up the side on the 90 degree turn, they aren't ready.

YOU MUST butter between each ball. I love my silicone brush. I dip it in melted butter and shove it in the well and push and swirl. The bristles go up the sides and don't miss a spot.

I heat the pan up on medium (gas stove) and cook about there too. If they are cooking or burning too quickly before you can get to all of them to turn, the heat is far too high. The 90 degree turn allows for more even cooking and a nice hollow ball. Since CI carries heat so long, pull the overheated pan off the heat and allow it to cool for 5 minutes before you return it to a lower temperature, or you'll ruin a few more rounds of balls before you cook your pan down.

I use a metal, flat, skewer to turn mine. It leaves a minute hole and grips a bit better than a chopstick, for me anyway.