Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cooking In Cast Iron

Notices

Cooking In Cast Iron Discuss Cast Iron Cooking & Recipe Requests

Old 08-03-2016, 02:48 PM

Default Re: My first cast iron pizza

Sharon, you have left me with two images in my mind and I can smell and taste both. MEís grandmother would not be happy with either, but it would be fun to watch her in a taste test. The first to come to mind was a Chef Boyardee Pizza. Yup, Iíve had them. My mom was a fan of his. The second was New York style Italian pizza where it takes two hands but the crust never lets one down and has very little in common with the first one. Itís the ingredients that make the difference.

Iím guessing that living in Tippecanoe, Cty. means that neither you or your hubby grew up in NYC. Should I delete one or both images?

Hilditch
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2016, 04:41 PM

I wish I could duplicate one of the pizzas in my hometown. There were two families of Immigrants from Italy 1950's or sometime before. One side of the river had the pizza I still think about often and can taste it now. On the other side of the river also had very good pizza too. But both had very different taste but done the same. That family had killer hot sausage sandwich. It was 6-7" long sausage patty on homemade bread covered in sauce topped with melted provolone peppers, onion. I stop by both places when I'm home and it never enough.

Most of the small towns around there had family pizza places (northern Illinois not far from Chicago. and each had their own distinct flavor. I'm thinking it the combination of how the dough is put together, the way the sauce was done and spiced. And last the flavor of the hand pinched sausage. and probably the all important temp of the oven. Now that a recipe I'd pay to have

Steve,
Old 08-03-2016, 06:31 PM

That Italian bakery run by old man Trusello in the 50ís had the best Italian bread an bakery pizza in Niagara Falls, NY. It lived from 1917 until 1996, but started dying in the early 70ís when the kiddies got involved. About 2,000 I decided to try and duplicate those 50ís bread loaves & pizza. I knew the pizza dough was the same as the bread dough due to the flavor of the crust so I had to get that right first.

It took 3 years of sporadic, but many tries (over 20) and note keeping to finally nail the flavor, crust, crumb and appearance. Also to develop a dependable recipe and technique. That is with only 4 ingredients. Now the pizza.

Through considerable research I found the old man used crushed tomatoes and pecorino romano cheese. These and some oregano got me close, but no cigar. Two years later I was able to discover the missing flavor after too many tries, Ajowan! Looking back, I would have paid a lot for those recipes. After more than 500 loaves, this remains our daily bread.

Be careful trying to duplicate recipes. YMMV.

Hilditch